Skip to content Skip to navigation

Blast at Maligaon: 2 dead

Two persons died and a few others have been injured when a powerful blast rocked the city again on Friday evening. According to information, the incident took place at Maligaon near the railway gate and it was planted at bicycle in between two cars. The deceased have yet to be identified. Police have rushed to the spot.

Police say it a handiwork of ULFA who have been unleashing a reign of terror in the city right from the new year's day. One of the deceased has been identified as Dhiren Kakoti.

One of the five injured people has been rushed to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital while others have been admitted to the Maligaon Railway Hospital. The three injured have been identified as Rajiv Sarma, Ainu Khatun and Manju prasad.

The explosion took a day after the death of new year's day mastermind Pranjal Deka.

Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has condemned the bast and termed it as most heinous crime.

Comments

pranab's picture

This is becoming one daily activity here in assam.Will it ever stop?
Bikash's picture

Sorrowfully its again the dirty Assam politics when Prafulla Mahanta enjoyed ?Army cover in Z category, he did passed order to Army not to enter GHY for any operations.Its called out of bounds for Army.Since then it become a heaven for all type of militants to chors.....Swarga..!It was to hapen and will go on.Let GHY go to Army and see none keeps any chief guests to blast bombs like how Crabs kill their mother to live on!!!
dove's picture

its all the people in the politics, and all are involve, till there is a radiacal change it will happen, joi aai asom ....
Arindam Garg's picture

Ask Mr. Tarun Gogoi, what the hell he is doing for the innocent people in Assam.Are we human beings for him or just cockroaches just getting killed for some stupid politics.....
Vijay Kumar Sharma's picture

Who will be the next victim in such blast? Now a day,is our life secure? So,When such thing will stop & Who will take responsibility of such victim people in blast?

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Delhi based journalist from Assam working with the Times of India Sabina Sehgal Saikia have been missing amid the din of the nightmare in Mumbai. Confirmed this Sabina’s husband Santanu Saikia said Sabina was there at the Taj hotel on Wednesday and she is remaining untraced. The senior journalist went to Mumbai on official work two days ago and was staying in the room. Her cell connection is not working.
Civil society in India has strongly condemned the recent decision of the Group of Ministers (GOM) in India to defer the implementation of pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages which was to come in to effect from November 30, 2008. The pictorial warnings have been deferred, again, till at least end of May 2009.This decision of GOM is very unfortunate and has appalled the public health community across the country, said members of Advocacy Forum for Tobacco Control (AFTC). By repeatedly postponing the implementation of pack warnings on tobacco packages, the government is failing from performing its important duty to provide essential information to make Indian consumers aware...
A newly recruited ULFA cxadre has been arrested in upper Assam's Sivasagar distirct on Wednesday. According to information, the ULFA cadre is Dibanta Saikia, who was apprehended during a joint operation by Charaideo police and Army's 16 Regiment at Moranhabi village near Sapekhati.It may be noted that there is some inputs that some ULFA cadres have been satying in the area to strike on the Proterst Day faling on November 27. The recent gun battle by ULFA and police and army and the subsequesnt seizure of explosive materials also proved their presence.Moreover, a day after a group of hardcore ULFA miliants had a fierce fighting with army and police at Sarauisajia in Nazira, suspected ULFA...
"Who said agriculture is a business of loss. I am saving more than Rs 80,000/- (about USD 1,750) every year and providing bread & butter to my 11 family members who are dependent on me," said Prabhavati Devi, who lives in Sardar Nagar block of Gorakhpur district. She has one and half acres land in which she is producing more than 86 types of crops annually. Prabhavati Devi is doing organic farming, which is a very reliable method of sustainable agriculture resulting in high production at low cost.According to her, '12 years back I too was doing chemical farming and had no idea about this model of sustainable agriculture which involves an efficient management of time and land...
Kaziranga, the abode of one horn rhino is teeming with the tourists from home and abroad. The focal point of attraction is not only the beauty and bounty of nature but there some thing special. That is nothing but delicious food prepared by the local Karbi youths. These include rice, meat and fish prepared in bamboo tube and even in plantain leaves.Talking to Assam Times, a local Karbi youth said,”we do prepare our traditional dishes for the tourists. We are getting good response from the tourists.”For tourists Kaziranga now no longer a destination to visit the sights and sounds of nature. It is rich with scope for mountaineering put in place very recently. Beside this, dozens...
More ULFA top guns are set to follow Ram Singh who was arrested in a high voltage drama. This time these will include hardcore militant Sujit Mohan who has been unleashing a reign of terror in upper Assam and thus gives sleepless night to army and police.It is as if Ram Singh has opened the gate for several others to join the pro-truce group. Sujit , who hails from a poor family in Patsaku area under Bokota Mouza in Sivasagar district has been a headache for police, army and para military forces for the last couple of years.Sujit has his hardcore colleague Ram Singh alias Mintu Buragohain, whom police recently claimed to have arrested from Jabalating in Bokota area.The duo had one more...
A group of eight hardcore ULFA militants have managed to escape from army and police at Saraisajia area in Nazira.According to information, police and army Jawans from the 316 Field Regiment and 581 Light Regiment launched an operation in the area acting on some specific tip off that a seven member ULFA group led by sergeant Numal Gogoi was hiding at an abandoned house of Shibraj Sarma.The operation was launched with 300 rounds of firing. Later the operation spilled into the neighbouring Borhola and Singibeel areas. During this operation army recovered 8 kilogram RDX, 6 detonators, five bags and a few mobile phones. Dreaded ULFA terrorist Gobinda Ojha was reportedly among these terrorists...
A fierce gun battle between police and ULFA militants is reportedly going on at Saraisaja area under Geleky in Upper Assam’s Sivasagar district of Assam. Local residents, who are keeping inside their houses are still hearing sounds of gun firing. More police forces are arriving in the area.Police have cordoned off the entire area after the six ULFA tp cadres have reportedly managed to flee from the spot. 8 kilo gram RDX nd 8 live wires have been found on the spot.
Dispur police have arrested three persons before being remanded to judicial custody on Saturday. They have been arrested charging them with inciting violence after the October 30 serial blast.Moreover, police have registered cases against several others in this connection.According to information, they are Dhan Barman from Singimari area in Kamrup district, Gogon Mahanta from Sundarihaal and Sartosh Khandakar from Chenga in Barpeta.Police charged them with destroying public property, preventing government employees from discharging their duties, bid on the lives of the government employees.Some more arrested are in the offing, said reliable sources adding that thus these people have...
The serial blast accused and former NDFB home secretary Sabin Boro and Bhutanse citizen Tenzing J Zangpu on Saturday have been remanded to judicial custody even as police is believed to have failed to get any clue.Talking to reporters on the way to the Kamrupo CJM court on Saturday, both they they strongly denied their involvement in the serial blast.Sabin is former NDFB home secretary, who was expelled from the outfit on January 13 he had nothing to do with the serial blast. He was arrested by SIT from the city’s Japorijog area.Bhutanese national Tenzing J Zangpung, also said he was not aware of the incident. The general secretary with the Druk National Congress. SIT picked up him...