Skip to content Skip to navigation

India Leads the City Nature Challenge with 206 Cities Participating

New Delhi: India has emerged as the largest participant in the 9th annual City Nature Challenge (CNC), with 206 Indian cities among the 675 global participants. This collaborative citizen science event, running from April 26 to 29, is organized in India by WWF-India to encourage people to document and share images of wild plants, animals, and fungi using the iNaturalist app.

WWF-India is spearheading this initiative across several states, including Assam, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, and New Delhi. Neha Raghav, Director of Environment Education at WWF-India, highlighted CNC's importance, saying, "CNC is a great opportunity to engage people of all ages in citizen science."

In Assam, the event kicked off on Earth Day with youth from various colleges and universities conducting BioBlitzes. Participating institutions include Gauhati University and Cotton University. Archita Baruah Bhattacharyya, State Coordinator for WWF-India in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh, noted that CNC 2024 has expanded to include the entire North East, with two main cities—Guwahati and Digboi—leading the effort.

Globally, the CNC has seen rapid growth, with the number of participating cities increasing from 450 in 2023 to over 675 in 2024. Last year, CNC saw over 66,000 participants and nearly 1.87 million observations, with Hyderabad emerging as the top Indian city.

To participate in CNC, individuals can find wildlife, take pictures or sound recordings, and upload them to iNaturalist. This collaborative effort not only contributes to scientific research but also raises awareness about biodiversity conservation. For more information on participating cities and how to join, visit CNC India Website.

Comments

LAKHINANDAN DUTTA's picture

Cnc is helping to save wildlife in city areas
LAKHINANDAN DUTTA's picture

Cnc helping to save wildlife in city areas.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Tezpur BJP candidate Ram Prasad Sarma filed his nomination papers on Thursday.Accompanied by a hundreds of his supporters at a huge procession, Sarma arrived in the DC office in Tezpur where he filed nomination papers before the returning officer.On the other hand, his counterpart in Dibrugarh Rameswar Teli also filed nomination papers on Thursday.Polling with take place in both the constituency on April 7.  
AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Thursday said that only the regional party has every strength to raise voice of Assam in parliament.Addressing a huge rally in Lakhimpur on behalf of Hariprasad Dihingia, the AGP president said that the people have already decided to vote for the regional party.  
The Income Tax sleuths on Wednesday arrested a person in Guwahati and seized a huge amount of money from his possession.Identified as PK Dutta, he was held at the Logpriya Gopinath Borodoloi International Airport in Guwahati in the evening.A huge amount of Rs 10 lakh has been seized from his possession by the Income Tax sleuths.  
Two more heavyweights filed nomination papers in Jorhat on Wednesday.The first candidate to have filed nomination papers was BK Handique to be followed by Pradeep Hazarika in the afternoon.Accompanied by a cultural troupe, the AGP candidate filed nomination papers before the returning officer in Jorhat DC office premises.  Hazarika said that the voters have realized that AGP is the only option left with them.Then came Drupod Buragohain to file nomination papers to contest from this constituency.The CPI candidate arrived in the DC office premises with hundreds of his supporters who said that the people should allow the CPI to serve them. Polling with take place on April 7.   
A severe hailstorm lashed parts of Guwahati disrupting normal life in the city on Wednesday.Accompanied by thunder, the hailstorm began at 4-30 in the afternoon to be continued for almost half an hour.  Officer goers found it a harrowing time to return to their homes defying the inclement weather that drenched several parts of the city.   
In a sensational revelation, Tezpur Congress candidate Bhupen Bora said that he has been facing threat to life.Talking to reporters in Tezpur after filing his nomination papers on Wednesday, Bora said that NDFB-S militants have been targeting him forcing the authority to strengthen security for him.According to him,  he along with two other senior Congress leaders have been facing the threat.
Lakhimpur Congress candidate Ranee Narah on Wednesday kickstarted poll campaign claiming that she has no nearest rival in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.After arriving in Lakhimpur, thousands of party workers greeted her and started poll campaign. Talking to reporters, the Union minister said that she was confident of her victory as there is hardly any nearest rival for her in Lakhimpur.Narah left Guwahati only on Wednesday to kickstart the poll campaign. But the party legislators, mostly, were conspicuous by their absence in the campaign.
Tezpur Congress candidate Bhupen Bora on Wednesday filed nomination for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls slated for April 7.Accompanied by senior party leaders, Bora field his nomination papers before the returning officer at 11-30 in the morning in Tezpur.Before that Bora was taken in a procession participated by thousands of his supporters who said that Bora would win the polls with flying colours.
The Gauhati High Court on Wednesday rejected a petition seeking interim bail for Kamal Medhi after police booked him in the recent self immolation case in Dispur.A division bench of the court rejected the anticipatory bail plea when came up for hearing on Wednesday. The KMSS general secretary has been absconding from March 1 after police arrested Akhil Gogoi along with 6 others in the sensational case.The CJM court earlier rejected his interim bail plea when moved after Akhil Gogoi was remanded to judicial custody.
Despite stepped up vigil rhino poachers continue to strike in Kaziranga.Poachers have in this national park killed yet another rhino on Wednesday. The incident took place at Kohora range of the world heritage site where the carcass was found. With this, the number of rhino poaching cases has crossed 17 during the last two and a half months.