Skip to content Skip to navigation

India Leads the City Nature Challenge with 206 Cities Participating

New Delhi: India has emerged as the largest participant in the 9th annual City Nature Challenge (CNC), with 206 Indian cities among the 675 global participants. This collaborative citizen science event, running from April 26 to 29, is organized in India by WWF-India to encourage people to document and share images of wild plants, animals, and fungi using the iNaturalist app.

WWF-India is spearheading this initiative across several states, including Assam, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, and New Delhi. Neha Raghav, Director of Environment Education at WWF-India, highlighted CNC's importance, saying, "CNC is a great opportunity to engage people of all ages in citizen science."

In Assam, the event kicked off on Earth Day with youth from various colleges and universities conducting BioBlitzes. Participating institutions include Gauhati University and Cotton University. Archita Baruah Bhattacharyya, State Coordinator for WWF-India in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh, noted that CNC 2024 has expanded to include the entire North East, with two main cities—Guwahati and Digboi—leading the effort.

Globally, the CNC has seen rapid growth, with the number of participating cities increasing from 450 in 2023 to over 675 in 2024. Last year, CNC saw over 66,000 participants and nearly 1.87 million observations, with Hyderabad emerging as the top Indian city.

To participate in CNC, individuals can find wildlife, take pictures or sound recordings, and upload them to iNaturalist. This collaborative effort not only contributes to scientific research but also raises awareness about biodiversity conservation. For more information on participating cities and how to join, visit CNC India Website.

Comments

LAKHINANDAN DUTTA's picture

Cnc is helping to save wildlife in city areas
LAKHINANDAN DUTTA's picture

Cnc helping to save wildlife in city areas.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Loksabha TV  recently discussed the flood situation in Assam. Architect Gautam Sarma,  author & policy specialist Sanjoy Hazarika, NERAMAC director. Manoj Kumar Das and few other national experts spoke on the problems and solutions to the recurring problem.
TEZPUR: Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has ordered an inquiry into the group clashes in Sonitpur district where 12 people sustained injury in an attack as they were taking out a bike procession in support of the Ayodhya event on Wednesday. According to information, Sonowal has issued an order to DGP Bhaskarjyoti Mahanta to probe the incident where the miscreants set afire as many as ten bikes and vehicles. DIG (law and order) GP Singh told media that 4 cases have been registered in this connection. Sources said that the district authorities have disallowed VHP and Bajrang Dal from taking out any procession in view of the prevailing endemic. But VHP and Bajrang Dal activists took...
Guwahati: An orgy of violence has rocked Sonitpur district where a few people sustained injury and some vehicles were burnt down on Wednesday.  The incident took place in the afternoon when a group of unidentified miscreants attacked some people as they took out a procession in support of the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Ram temple at Ayodhya. As the procession was progressing on the road suddenly the miscreants sprang upon the participating people. The miscreants further burnt down as many as five vehicles during the attack.  Then they vanished from the spot. Later policemen came but by then the miscreants fled. The area has been put under...
Tezpur: After Padma Hazarika, now it's turn for Mrinal Hazarika to wage a war against the illegal settlers. Talking to reporters in Sootea where a group of police and civil officials sustained injury at an attack by illegal settlers recently, the BJP MLA from Khomtai alleged a nefarious attempt to overpower the indigenous people. "But how theses illegal settlers could attack police officers on eviction duty?  This is because of a section pressure groups who have been aiding and abetting these people, "said Saikia. He fully supported Padma Hazarika for his stand against the illegal settlers. He said, "Tezpur now looks different. Now rows of small huts on the National Highway...
Tezpur: A BJP legislator with a rifle on his shoulders on Thursday during a stock-taking visit to a tense site evoked no less reaction in many quarters. The legislator in question is none other than Sootea MLA Padma Hazarika who reached Chakigarh area after a group of illegal settlers attacked a joint team of police and civil officials on eviction duty. As many as 12 people including police officers sustained injury as they tried to evict the illegal settlers before handing over the plot to a group of local entrepreneurs. But the visit of the legislator with a rifle on his shoulders raised the eyebrows of many parties and organizations. State Congress president  Ripun Bora...
Guwahati: BJP government and party are simultaneously gearing up for 2021 assembly polls.  After CM's principal secretary Sanjay Lohia's transfer to New Delhi a major bureaucratic reshuffle is on the card as part of  preparations for the assembly polls. Same it is in the case of the party.  Hours after state president Ranjit Das and organizational secretary Phanin Sarma met BJP president JP Nadda in New Delhi on Monday, joint organizational secretary Geethartha Goswami was removed from the stint. There is no specific reason cited in the letter which Goswami received from the leadership. Moreover,  the state leadership has moved the central leadership to get...
Guwahati: Journalists’ Forum Assam (JFA) mourned the untimely demise of former journalist Dhanjit Kakati after a prolonged illness on 25 July 2020. Recognized as a dedicated social activist, Kakati used to work for a number of newspapers with full commitments to the medium. Kakati, 65, left behind his wife, a daughter, a host of relatives and well-wishers. “Dhanjit Kakati actively participated in various citizens’ meets, which were organized by JFA in different occasions. His observations to various perennial problems of Guwahati including the flash-flood, social security, sustainable urban development, etc were appreciated by everyone and those were treated as valuable inputs to the...
Guwahati: A central draft allegedly framed to legalize the industries and factories in the economy sensitive areas is set to run into a hail of protest in Assam and other north eastern states. Drafted as Environment Impact Assessment 2020, by the ministry of forest and environment, the draft has watered down the existing rules to set up big,  medium and small scale industries on the basis of an assessment. All Assam Students Union and KMSS along with many other organizations have vociferously opposed the move. "Only Assam and other north eastern states will have to bear the brunt. But we won't allow anybody to loot our resources," said AASU general secretary Lurinjyoti Gogoi...
Golaghat: AGP leader and former Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta held a closed-door meeting with former Bokakhat independent MLA Jiten Gogoi on Saturday amid speculations of a ventricle split in the regional party before 2021 assembly polls. Accompanied by local AGP Balobhadra Tamuly, Mahanta visited the rebel turned party less politician at the latter's residence in Bokakhat where they held a closed-door meeting for more than one hour.  According to sources,  Gogoi agreed to contest the polls independently to ensure the defeat of minister and AGP president Atul Bora who is known to be Mahanta's main rival in the regional party.  Both Mahanta and Gogoi said...
The website www.fridaysforfure.in was blocked citing UAPA which launched a campaign to protest against the Ministry of Environment’s Draft Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) Notification, 2020. The notification was issued on March 23, 2020. Activists alleged that the draft EIA 2020 will dilute the existing green laws favouring business. After Delhi High Court's order, the initial deadline of June 11, 2020 for the consultation process of this draft was extended to 11 August, 2020. What is the online campaign on the Draft EIA 2020? Subject: Request to Withdraw Draft EIA 2020 in the interest of Environmental and Public Welfare Dear Shri. Prakash Javadekar, In March...