Skip to content Skip to navigation

Orphan kids inaugurate the 9th International Expo

The 9th International Expo which was scheduled to begin from 31st Oct. 2008 began today with a peaceful note. The inaugural program was rescheduled following bloody Thursday episode. The expo was declared open by some orphan kids of Snehalaya orphanage. Father Lucas, Director of Snehalaya accompanied this kids to the AEI Ground. The kids also sang a condolence song besides paid rich tribute to the blast victims. The Expo was declared open by leaving away a pair of pigeon symbol of peace after lighting a ceremonial lamp to fight darkness. The expo has been extended till 16th Nov. 2008 as informed by the organizers.

MA Khan, CMD, Leo Advertising while talking to this correspondent said that we decided to go with orphan kids for inaugural session to co-incide with every common man because the tragic incident has left many kids orphan. We are not all prepared and mentally ready for a ceremonial function as such. Khan also extended his condolences and prayers for the departed soul.

Comments

Simanta Phukan's picture

Shop in shops....no more 'Expo's please. Guwahatians were drunk with consumerism till the other day.

Pages

Add new comment

Random Stories

Prepared to broker peace: Ravi Shankar

7 Sep 2017 - 10:39pm | AT News
Spiritual leader Ravi Shankar on Thursday evinced keen interest to broker peace with the rebel groups operating in the north eastern region.  Talking to media in the sidelines of...

E-library in Jan: Smriti

18 Sep 2015 - 9:12pm | AT News
HRD ministry is preparing an e-library where the teachers, students and researchers would have free access. This was what Smriti Irani said when the Union HRD minister was a visit to Agartala on...

Starvation death rerun in tea estate

13 Oct 2015 - 7:42am | AT News
Starvation death is back to haunt the people of Bhuvan Valley Tea Garden. Four people including a baby were believed to have died of starvation in the tea garden during the last 15 days. Nobody has...

HQ 22 Sector Assam Rifles raised

30 Mar 2012 - 1:20pm | editor
The newly raised HQ 22 Sector Assam Rifles symbolically unfurled its flag at Haflong Assam Rifles garrison. The flag was hoisted by the DIG, Brig Gajinder Singh, the first Commander of the newly...

Other Contents by Author

Assam singer Zubin Garg takes part in a peace rally organized by 'Bharatiya Gana Natya Sangha' at Guwahati on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 for the October 30 serial blasts in Assam that killed some 88 innocents and leaving several hundreds severely injured. Entire Assam is echoing same sentiments by showing similar spontaneous reactions towards the mournful incident.Photo: UB Photos
In case you come across any suspicious activity, any suspicious movement or have any information to tell to the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS), please take a note of the new ALL INDIA TOLL-FREE Terror Help-line "1090″. Your city's police or Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) will take action as quickly as possible.Remember that this single number 1090 is valid all over India.This is a toll free number and can be dialed from mobile phones also. Moreover, the identity of the caller will be kept a secret. Citizens need to try to make aware each and every citizen of India about this facility.
Governor of Assam His Excellency Shiv Charan Mathur while speaking news persons after meeting the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) delegation said that as a constitutional head of the state he is willing to call a all party meeting in Raj Bhawan to discuss all aspects of situation meted out of the Thursday's powerful serial bomb blast that rocked the globe killing some 81 innocents on paper records (as eye witness claims of several hundreds deaths) and living deserted some 380 injured in the various hospitals.Governor also added that people of Assam has shown great courage so far to combat terrorism and was marching ahead with peace however the sudden cowardly act of terror has left everyone numb...
The apex students organization of Assam the pioneer of Assam Movement All Assam Students' Union (AASU) has called a 11 hour Assam bandh tomorrow will effect from 5am in morning to 4pm in the evening to protest Thursday's powerful serial blast in Assam that claimed 81 innocent livesBriefing mediapersons at 'Shaeed Nyash' advisor AASU told newspersons that though AASU had abstained from calling bandh now almost for 2 and half years however to protest dealiest attack on Assamese soul we call a 11 hours bandh instead of earlier speculations of 24 hours bandh.Earlier Kamrup Chamber of Commerce (KCC) and AASU had called a 24 hours bandh on Monday but at the time of filing this report KCC has...
The main Opposition Party in the Assam Legislative Assembly Asom Gana Parishad took out a public rally from party office at Ambari to Raj Bhawan expressing utter dismay at the failure of the Tarun Gogoi-led Cong-BPF coalition government in Assam and demanding its immediate dissolution following serial blasts in Assam that has so far claimed 81 lives. The rally left Ambari at 12.10 pm headed by party President and Leader of the Opposition of Assam Legislative Assembly Chandra Mohan Patwary followed by some 3500 supporters including sitting AGP MLAs and MPs and central office bearers.The rally from Ambari went through Guwahati Club, Chenikhuti, Barwari, Latasil to Raj Bhawan shouting anti...
Prime Minister of India Dr. Monmohan Singh while a section of selected media persons at Guwahati Medical College Hospital (GMCH) lobby after visiting the blast site at CJM Court Kachari and injured at Mahendra Mohan Choudhury Hospital (MMCH) and Guwahati Medical College Hospital (GMCH) assured that Government will book the culprits involved behind the blast and requested people not to panic. He appealed the people to unitedly fight against terror and terrorist activities.Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today held discussions on the prevailing law and order situation in Assam in the wake of serial bomb blasts with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and his Cabinet ministers and senior...
The owner of mobile number 98646-93690 of one Nazir Ahmed of Moirabari in Morigaon district of Assam was taken into custody by state police from where an SMS reading "We, ISF(IM) take responsibility of Thursday's blasts. We warn all of Assam and India for situation like this in future.We thank all our holy members and partners...Amin' was sent to city based news satellite channel News Live last night.Interrogation is on and more details are awaited. Islamic terror group named Islamic Security Force (Indian Mujahideen) in short ISF (IM) have claimed the Thursday's serial blast that rocked Assam in particular and the nation as a whole that claimed 80 lives so far and injuring more than...
As BJP activists were rallying in protest of Thursday's blast from party office at Maniknagar(Nursery) at RG Baruah road to Dispur secretariat a small mob like situation was seen at Ganeshguri Chariali. CRPF personnel arrested all the BJP activist including National vice president Smti. Bijoya Chakraborty and Assam Pradesh president Ramen Deka. The protestor were shouting anti-government slogans. After the situation curfew has been re-imposed and security has been alerted despite the city has a deserted look due to the band.When reports last came in Prime Minister Dr. Monmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Smti. Sonia Gandhi and Union Minister from Assam Sontosh Mohan Dev has already flown from...
A high level security meeting was held at Raj Bhawan yesterday late night in presence of Union Home Minister Shiv Raj Patil, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, Assam Govt. Chief Secretary, Director General of Police, Principal Secretary (Home), Home Commissioner and other senior officials. The Union Home Minister, Shivraj Patil asserted that stern action would be taken against those involved in the serial blasts, which resulted in the death of more than 77 persons so far. The Union Home Minister arrived in the city this afternoon and immediately after his arrival, he flew to Kokrajhar - another blast site to take stock of the situation. The Union Home Minister expressed his sympathies to the...
Senior BJP Leader Lal Krishna Advani addressing a media conference at Guwahati blamed squarely the UPA Government at the centre and the State Government after visiting the serial blast sites in Kachari, Fancy Bazar and Ganeshguri that claimed 41 lives alone in the city. Advani stated that it is the deadliest attack in the recent times, as involvement of external elements cannot be denied. He went on to add the nature of explosions is evident use of huge RDX, this blast nowhere resemble the country made bombs. Earlier this morning Advani visited the blast sites at Kachari, Fancy Bazar and Ganeshguri also took note of victims of blast and injured at the MMC and GMC Hospital. He appealed to...