Skip to content Skip to navigation

Suspected B’deshi: Congress leaders run the risk of peril

A section of political leaders of the ruling Congress is behind the documents being used by some suspected Bangladeshi immigrants to prove their Indian citizenship. Some startling revelations have further complicated the situation in Lakhimpur district when AASU activists picked up altogether 57 suspected illegal Bangladeshi people from a newly set up village.

A few of the suspected Bangladeshi nationals when rounded up by AASU activists made some uncomfortable revelations saying a section of ruling party leaders have being helping them even issuing them documents to prove Indian citizenship.

Akbar Ali is one of them who came out with these revelations that could drag two Congress leaders dreg into controversy. When rounded up by AASU activists, Akbar, who resides at the newly set up Chawldhuwa in Lakhimpur town said altogether 25 families have settled in the villages on the bank of the river Suvansiri. Infact, the plot belongs to the Assam government’s soil conservation department. Akbar is the main person behind this new village.

But these people have some suspected documents to prove Indian citizenship issued by Jonia MLA Abdul Khalek. These documents have no issue date and also no photograph. According to what these people told the AASU activists, he was Akbor who brought them and from Dhubri and Barpeta districts.

Even Akbor gave them these documents to prove Indian citizenship. AASU activists have already picked up 75 suspected illegal Bangladeshi immigrants including Akbor and handed them over to police. Moreover, Akbor is working day and night to set up a masjid and a madrassa in this village.

Akbor told journalists recently that former MP Ranee Narah has been helping them off and on and that he closed to Jonia MLA Abdul Khalek.

Comments

YK Shrestha's picture

God save Assam. The first thing that the AASU needs to do is come up with solid proof and file a case against the MLA and MP. These are the people who are encouraging illegal immigrants for their vote bank putting the future of Assam at stake.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

BJP on Saturday sharpened attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a day after Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi blamed the Centre for delayed action to curb the violence. The party also accused the ruling Congress of being responsible for the ethnic violence. Talking to reporters, BJP spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain demanded a reply from Manmohan Singh that Tarun Gogoi, who is their Chief Minister, has accused the Centre of not sending timely help and forces.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh announced a huge 300 crore package to pacify the boiling BTAD areas on his hurricane visit to Kokrajhar on Saturday.Addressing a press conference in Kokrajhar he said that the affected people would be given Rs 100 crore to be rehabilitated. Another Rs 100 crore rupees would be for providing the houses under the Indira Aawas Yojana for those rendered homeless in the clash. Dr Singh said that apart from these BTAD would get a huge 100 crore rupees for development schemes. Dr Singh who visited two relief camps said that the family members of the deceased ones would be compensated with 2 lakh rupees.
A “Goodwill Mission” headed by Thaneswar Malakar,DC,Udalguri visited various villages of Bhergaon sub-division including the house of Nabla Boro (35) son of Kulen Boro of Khagrabari Nalbari village on July 26. Nabla Boro, a CRPF jawan serving under 151 BN CRPF at Jammu had been brutally killed by miscreants at Srirampur railway station on July 23 while he was returning to the place of his posting after spending a moths leave at home. On behalf of the district administration, DC Malakar offered deep condolence to the family members of the victim. He also offered financial assistance to the family. Other distinguished members of the mission were- Nilakanta Gayari, president...
Amid tight security, prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi are on a stock-taking visit to Kokrajhar on Saturday. During the 4-hour long visit, the duo would take stock of the situation. They are also scheduled to visit to relief camps in Kokrajhar. At 12.30 noon they would review the situation with chief minister Tarun Gogoi, governor JB Patnike along with army, police and civil heavyweights in Barjhar. Dr Singh is expected to announce a special package for the victims before wrapping up the visit.Earlier, they landed at the LGB international airport at 10.30 am to be received by chief minister and governor and straightly left for Kokrajhar by a helicopter.
Kokrajhar virtually turns into a security fotress just before the stock-taking visit of prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday. Army, police and para military forces are on round-the-clock vigil in Kokrajhar to disperse the miscreants waiting to strike during the high profile visit. The situation in Kokrajhar is by and large normal. There is hardly any report of major incident during the last 12 hours. The district authorities have relaxed curfew in Kokrajhar from early in the morning.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi are all set to visit in Kokrajhar on Saturday. The duo are scheduled to arrived in the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Barjhar at 10-30 in the morning. Accompanied by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, Dr Singh and Gandhi will straightly leave for Kokrajhar to take stock of the situation. Apart from reviewing the situation, they are expected to visit a few relief camps to oversee relief works. Home Minister P Chidambaram will visit Kokrajhar and adjoining districts on Monday.
Caught in a barrage of controversy, Congress set up a 10-member coordination committee to look into the Kokrajhar violence. The panel has a few critics of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who are unhappy with the chief minister’s role. Earlier on Thursday evening, a team of Muslim MPs, including Congressmen, met Home Minister P Chidambaram and said they had lost faith in the Gogoi government.
In yet another major embarrassment, a minor boy and a 60-year-old man died in two different relief camps in Bilasipara on Friday. The district administration is yet to ascertain the cause. The relief camps set up for the refugees are overcrowded. A section of camp inmates alleged insufficient food, drinking water and medicines.
Central paramilitary forces are fanning in the violence-hit Kokrajhar, Chirang and other adjoining areas to rein in the strings of clashes that claimed at least 60 people during the last 6 days. Of the 65 paramilitary companies ordered, 53 companies have reached Assam so far to bring the situation under control. But the focus is concentrated on relief and rescue a day ahead of the prime minister’s visit.
A day before prime minister’s visit, the Centre on Friday rushed two teams of doctors and nurses to Kokrajhar and Chirang to boost efforts to provide relief and medical help to the refugees. In a video conference with Assam Chief Secretary Naba Kumar Das, Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth reviewed the relief and medical arrangements for the victims. According to official sources, two teams of physician, gynaecologist, paediatrician, public health specialists, resident doctors and nurses have arrived in the violence hit areas on Friday night. Nearly two lakh people have taken shelter in 250 relief camps in the five riot-hit districts of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Chirang, Baksa and Dhubri.