Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

The United Liberation Front of Asom demands more autonomy and constitutional safeguard for the indigenous people in Assam. In its 12-point of charter of demands submitted before Union home minister P Chidambaram, the banned insurgent outfit demands information on the whereabouts of their colleagues missing in Bhutan at the height of the Operation All Clear launched by the Royal Army of Bhutan. Addressing a press conference in Delhi on Friday afternoon, ULFA foreign secretary Sashadhar Chaudhury said they want general secretary Anup Chetia at an earlier date to boost the peace process. He said the elusive commander in chief Paresh Baruah, who is believed to be at an undisclosed location...
ULFA and the Centre are all set to hold the first round of formal talks on Wednesday next. The count down began when the banned outfit has submitted their charter of demands before the Union home minister on Friday. Led by chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa, the ULFA delegation met Chidambaram at his North Block-based office at around 12 noon in presence of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and peace interlocutor P C Haldar. According to sources, ULFA has dropped sovereignty and independence demands. They are set to press for more autonomy, special status for Assam and other safeguards for the people there under the Constitution. Talking to reporters, chief minister Gogoi called it a significant...
At least 19 cadres of Dimasa National Democratic Front (DNDF) along with AK-series automatic rifles, M-16 rifles, US-make carbines, pistols and revolvers ceremonially surrender before Army and Police here on Wednesday at 9.30 AM in the premises of 25 Assam Riffles. The surrender ceremony is attended by Maj Gen Binoy Poonnen, VSM, General Officer Commanding of the Red Shield Division, Brig Ashim Kohli, Brigade Commander at Haflong, Sri K. Chawdhury, ADC and Mr VK Ramisetti, IPS, SP of Dima Hasao District, All together 17 weapons including AK-series automatic rifles, M-16 rifles, US-make carbines, pistols, revolvers and a large quantity of ammunition. These cadres had all surrendered to...
The Electronic Media Forum Assam (EMFA) has expressed its concern over the ongoing controversy on a social networking site (SNS) and its implications on media persons as a whole in the State. Some illicit comments in the SNS account of a Guwahati based news channel editor have sparked a series of protests in the last few days through out the Brahmaputra valley of Assam. In some occasions, few television reporters (and camerapersons) of a particular channel are being targeted by the agitators. The EMFA appeals to the civil society groups ‘not to physically target the field reporters and camera persons in any situation’. In a press release, issued by the EMFA on Tuesday...
The Hmar students in NC Hills...
The United Liberation Front of Asom seems to have stepped up it subversive activities in the run up to the Independence Day. There is report of an explosion in Goalpara which took place near a fish market. But there is no report of any casualty. Security forces reached the spot and operation is underway. The explosion in Goalpara took place a few hours after security forces on Sunday helped Rongiya escape a major disaster when they recovered three powerful Improvised Explosive Devices in the wee hours. The bombs were found at Vehbari district. Police said the three explosives were detected during a joint patrol by the Army and police at Vehbari near Bagsa. Later Army defused the bombs...
Thousands of students from AASU and 24 other student bodies held a huge rally in Guwahati on Saturday raising the demands to stop the NHPC-owned big dams. The student bodies who held the rally at the Latasheel Playground further demanded immediate resumption of the NRC project besides steps to check erosion, conservation of Majuli. The rally resolved to resist the move to transport the big dam turbines to Gerukamukh via Tezpur through the Brahmaputra riverways.The protesters further shouted anti-government slogans as they were taking out a procession from Panbazar to Chandmari.
Legendary singer and composer Dr Bhupen Hazarika’s condition is critical. The pride of Assam, who has been undergoing treatment Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai since June 29 still complains of difficulty in breathing. According to sources, his condition is refusing to improve during the last 12 hours. Cutting across all affiliations, parties and organizations in Assam are praying to the god for his speedy recovery. The 85 year old Hazarika is also a noted poet and actor and has been honoured with several prestigious awards, including Dadasaheb Phalke Award and Padma Bhushan.
The killer malaria and encephalitis seems to have taken an epidemic turn claiming more than 50 lives during the last 3 months. In Sivasagar district alone altogether 35 people died of Japanese encephalitis and malaria forcing the authorities to keep the people alert. Seven persons have died of encephalitis in Nalbari district in the last few days.The victims have been identified as Sultan Mamood, Gajen Deka, Murtunjoy Deka, Sunita Das, Mukuta Ali, Labanya Kalita and Nitumoni. The disease has assumed alarming proportion in the district and doctors and public health centres, particularly in rural areas, have been alerted. Altogether 20 districts have been affected with the worst being...
Peace seems to have a chance in the restive Bodoland. Major political parties, organizations are heaving a sigh of relief a day after NDFB’s Ranjan Daimary faction annou7nced unilateral ceasefire with the government. The outfit decided to suspend the hostile activities from August 1 when they were holding their general meeting on Monday. They hope that the ceasefire will help the Bodo people get their problems solved permanently. In an e-mailed statement to local media on Tuesday, NDFB said the decision to declare the ceasefire was taken at a general council" meeting of the outfit on Monday. The NDFB faction had earlier announced unilateral ceasefire for six months in December...