TANGLA: In a tragic incident, a mother and her son got electrocuted by unauthorized electric cable laid by villagers to deter the wild elephants at Majuligrant village along the Indo-Bhutan border in Udalguri on Sunday morning. According to reports, Khargeswari Kachari (43) wife of Dehi Ram Kachari a native of the aforesaid village along with her class seven standard son Kanai Kachari (12) went to graze cattle in a nearby field when the mother came in contact of live high voltage electric wire. The mother died instantly while the minor in a bid to save his mother tried to push her away but meet a tragic end. A pall of gloom has descended the region following the heart rending incident. The conscious circles have condemned and questioned the role of the electricity department for its failure to curb illegal electricity theft in the district.