Friends of Assam and Seven Sisters (FASS) International distributed 20 Solar Reading Lamps to poor and meritorious students in Biswanath Chariali, in the Sonitpur District Assam. The distribution function was organized in collaboration with CADAT an NGO in Biswanath Chariali at the Cheniram Das Bhawan on 25th May, 2013. Mr. Dilip Baruah. Chairman of Biswanath Chariali Municipality office presided over the function which was well attended by the public, the students, parents and the media and many CADAT members besides the following guests of honors: Mr. Prabin Hazarika MLA, Biswanath Constituency, Mrs. Zilmil Saikia,ACS. Ext. Asst. Commissioner Biswanath Sub- Division., Mr. Kandrapa Hazarika. President of Lehugaon Gaon panchyat., Mr.Ghanashyam Saikia, Social worker, Mr. Pratap Sarmah. Vice. President AJYSP.
Mr. Monoranjan Hazarika, the CADAT Program Coordinator welcomed the attendees while Mr. Dhiren Deka. Secretary CADAT explained the purpose of the meeting. Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Prabin Hazarika MLA, Biswanath Constituency, highly praised the NRAs and offered his thanks all the members of Friends of Assam & Seven Sister(FASS) International for launching of this very needy project. He also thanked the CDAT members for organizing the function for providing the Solar Lamp not for only talented but also socially as well as economically background students. Speaking on the occasion, Mrs. Zilmil Saikia, ACS Asst Commissioner, expressed her appreciation that a NGO like CADAT was able to network with America and offered her thanks to Friends of Assam & Seven Sister(FASS) for doing such a well deserving job for the needy students of North East India and thus playing a very important/ essential role. She hopped in the future CADAT will be able to do more to expand the project for free Solar Reading Lamp distribution in local area in collaboration through FASS. Mr. Dilip Baruah offered his remarks as a chairman of the meeting and stated that he had no language to thank both the Societies for their valuable work against Solar Light distribution to the talented poor student under the Biswanath sub-division. He thanked CADAT members and expressed the bright future to Friends of Assam & Seven Sister,(FASS). All were very happy to meet the poor talented student ,and also encouraging them to keep studies right way.
Speaking on the occasion Sri Rajen Barua, FASS President in Houston, Texas stated thatFriends of Assam and Seven Sisters (FASS) International is happy to announce launching of its project to distribute Solar Reading Lamps free to deserving students in North East India under the project named "Let There Be Lights for Education in Assam and Seven Sisters" . He stated that the project for free distribution of Solar Reading Lamps in North East India, was their way of not only helping the deserving youths with studies in a region which is notorious for irregular or complete lack of electricity, but also to bring an awareness to all concerned about the poor condition of rural electrification in North East India.
The FASS project has been made possible through generous donation from NRIs. The lamps in Biswanath Chariali are donated by Sri Kalyan Saikia & Manashi Dutta and Rana & Niva Gogoi of Houston Texas. FASS has plans for distributing such Solar Reading Lamps in other areas in Northeast India.
The following is the list of deserving students who were offered the free Solar Reading Lamps in Biswanath Chariali. Almost all the students were very poor BPL and meritorious:
1. Sri Bhigu Saikia,Village Lehugoan, H.S 1st yr, Chariali Academy
2. Miss Mousumi Hazarika, Village Nambaghmora, Biswanath Chariali, TDC 1st yr, Biswanath Collage 1st Div.(Letter in Assamese ,Pol. Science)
3. Utpala Dadhara, Village-Nagoan, , H.S.L.C. Candidate , Chariali Academy
4. Rupjyoti Das, Village Borigoan, Nine passed, Chariali Academy
5. Imran Hussain, Village Chotapam, Baghmari, H.S. 1st Yr , Maqbul Hussain Highmadrasa 3rd position within Assam in High Madrasa Exam.
6. Krishna Chinte, Village Joriguri, Mukaligoan, Class VII Passed, Sankardev Sishu Nikatan, Chandamari.
7. Ranuj Pahadi, Village Mayang goan, P.O. Mukali goan, Class IX passed, Sankardev Sishu Nikatan, Chandamari.
8. Miss Smiti Rekha Borah, Village Nambaghmora, TDC. 1st yr, Biswanath Collage,1st division H.S. Exam.
9. Sri Suman Pradhan, Village Milan goan, H.S 1st yr, Biswanath Collage, 1st division with star mark HSLC exam.
10. Miss Jamuna Devi, Village Dolapani, Sootea, TDC 3rd yr, Sootea Collage.
11. Sri Manash Jyoti Borah, Village Tupia, Class IX, Tupia High School 2nd in class
12. Miss Naina Borah, Village Gelapukhuri, HSLC Candidate, Sankardev Sishu Nikatan.
13. Mr.Lalit Newar, Village Tengabari, B.A. student, Biswanath Collage.
14. Miss Parthana Borah, Village Jorabari, Class -X, Bapuji High Scholl, Balipukhuri
15. Khanjan Hazarika, Village Nambaghmora, B.A. Student, Biswanath Collage.
16. Miss Minakshi Hazarika, Village Nambaghmora, H.S. 1st yr, Biswanath Collage.
17. Miss Barasha Borah, Village Tengabari B.A. 1st year Biswanath Collage.
18. Miss Riyakhi Hazarika, Village Bamgoan, B.A.1st year, Darang Collage,Tezpur.
19. Ratan Kurmi, Village Lehugoan, HSLC appeared, Chariali Academy.
20. Partha Patim Borah, Village Koratigoan, Sootea H.S. 1st year, Sootea Boys High secondary