An Assam police team is leaving West Bengal to seek the remand of Sudipta Sen a day after the Saradha Group chief was brought to Kolkata.
According to sources, the team would interrogate Sen in connection with the chit-fund scam. He said three staff-members of Saradha Group were arrested in 2012 in connection with a cheating case in Jorhat.
So far, 222 cases have been registered against 128 chit fund companies in the State. A Special Investigation Team probing the cases has so far filed charge sheets against 42 persons and 15 companies in 17 cases. So far, 303 persons have been arrested. Nearly Rs. 94 lakh in cash has been seized and amount of Rs. 24 crore frozen. Police have seized 106 bank accounts have been frozen while steps are being taken for the attachment of a number of landed properties including 99 bighas of land and buildings which have been identified.
The companies now under scanner are Saradha Group, Rose Valley, Unipay 2U, Jeevan Suraksha, Prayag, Abyss Assam Group Co, Basil International Ltd., Alliance Vision Marketing Pvt. Ltd and Daffodils Group of Companies.
In yet another landmark judgment, Gauhati High Court on Tuesday ordered lifer for five tea garden officials in Jorhat district in connection with a rape and murder case. A division bench of the court on Tuesday rejected the Jorhat session court where the alleged perpetrators were acquitted citing lack of evidence. The court asked the authorities to send the accused to the jail immediately. The incident took place in 1992 at Gotonga tea garden where three officials along with two other officials from a nearby tea estate repeatedly raped an 18-year old girl before cutting her body into pieces. Local residents told Assamtimes that they are satisfied with the...
The rescue of AK Agarwal mires in controversy a day after Sonitpur police claimed to have done it following an encounter inside a dense jungle. Sonitpur SP Arabinda Kalita claimed the credit. But NDFB's Songbijit faction claimed to have released only acting on the request of Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Nabam Tuki. Sources available with Assamtimes disclosed that the NHPC general manager was released due to simmering difference among the militants. Another source gives full credit to a private detective agency where police gave only logistic support.
Sonitpur police have rescued Anil Kumar Agrawal 51 day after the Songbijit faction of NDFB kidnapped the NHPC general manager from Bhalukpung area at gunpoint. Sources told assamtimes that the dramatic rescue took place during a fierce encounter on Monday night at a dense jungle along the Assam Arunachal Pradesh border. The encounter took place when a five member Police team led by SP Arabina Kalita and ASP Shiladitya Chetia was carrying out an operation in the area to be attacked by the militants with grenade explosion. Both Kalita and Chetia sustained injuries during the attack. This was followed by heavy exchange of firing where the militants managed to flee leaving Agrawl who was...
A brief respite for Central Bureau of Investigation. The Supreme Court on Saturday stayed the gauhati High Court order saying that the investigation agency now at work was unconstitutional.Taking up the petition moved by the Centre on behalf of the CBI, the apex court stayed the order and fixed December 6 as the next date off hearing.The centre on Saturday moved the apex court challenging the court order in view of over 9000 pending cases before the investigation agency. Notably, several CBI undertrials moved the court seeking stay in view of the Gauhati High Court’s order.On Wednesday, in a land mark judgment, a division bench of Gauhati High Court called CBI an unconstitutional body...
Over ten thousand people are expected to thronged the Dighalipukhuri area to participate in the Krishak Adhikar Divas on Sunday.Addressing a press conference in Guwahati on Saturday, KMSS president Akhil Gogoi said that the rally would demand rights for the farmers. Noted Social activist Dr Vandana Shiva would be participating in the rally. He said that KMSS has called off the satyagraga proposed on Monday after Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi’s assurance off talks after November 21.
Yet another gruesome murder of a woman in Guwahati has sent no less shockwaves across the state where the perpetrator happens to be her husband who surrendered before police on Saturday.The incident took place at Natun Bazar in Basistha on Friday night when a person beheaded his wife at home alleging incestuous affair with a local trader. The doer, an employee with a private medicine company beheaded his wife Bobbeta Kamakar in full view of two children with a sharp knife.Police officials rished to the spot but by then, her husband managed to flee from the spot. Investigation is in progress. Various parties and organizations have condemned the murder and demanded immediate arrest of Bobbeta...
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Amir Khan would be the brand ambassador to give the state’s tourism sector a fresh lease of life.Addressing a press conference in Dispur on Saturday, Gogoi said that he had a telephonic talk with the bollywood actor and director who told him that he was really impressed with Assam and its people. According to the chief minister, formalities are underway to declare Amir khan as the brand ambassador for this vital sector. On Friday, transport and tourism minister Chandan Sarkarr said that it was his desire to talk to the actor on behalf of the government.
Dispur expresses grave concern over the rising insurgent activities along Assam-Meghalaya border. Talking to reporter, chief minister Tarun Gogoi blamed it all on Meghalaya insurgent outfits for the recent massacre at Gendabari.Talking to reporters, Gogoi said that security has been beefed up in these areas bordering Meghalaya to prevent the entry of insurgent elements from the neighbouring state. He said that of late, ULFA has struck deal with the Garo insurgent outfits to monger more trouble.On the other hand, DGP Jayanta Narayan Chaudhury was on a stock-taking visit to the trouble torn areas bordering West Bengal and Meghalaya.
The Assam government is clearing the decks for updating NRC from December. Disclosing this at a press conference in Dispur, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said that the central funds for NRC works would be available.Notably, a Supreme Court instruction has forced the Centre to clear the fund for an updated set of NRC while Dispur is in a process to resume the work. The pilot project state four years back. But only to be stopped because of an incident of firing in Barpeta district.AASU, AJYCP have been pressuring the Centre and the state government to update the NRC to help the state detect and deport the Bangladeshi immigrants.
Good news for cancer patients. Chabua to get a state-of –the- art cancer hospital. This was what chief minister Tarun Gogoi disclosed as he was addressing a press conference in Dispur on SaturdayGogoi said that the hospital would be a giant leap towards giving a relief to the cancer patients whose number has been on the rise. This would be the second cancer hospital in the state after the B Barooah cancer institute.
Comments
Rose Valley will be next.
Pages
Add new comment