Several organizations like Karbi Students' Association (KSA), Sominder Karbi Amei (SKA) and Karbi Nimso Chingthur Asong (KNCA), Umrongso, Dima Hasao Dist Submitted a memorandum to Sri. Pradyut Bordoloi, Power Minister, Govt. of Assam, Dispur, on 16th of June 2012 during his two-day visit to Umrangso area.
The memorandum on behalf of KSA,SKA (Apex Body), KNCA and general public of Longku and Umrongso under 17- Garampani MAC Constituency, Dima Hasao District, stated that the 150 MW Lower Kopili Hydro Electric Project was due to be commissioned soon at Longku. They were delighted to know that the project would be under taken by the Assam Power Generation Corporation Limited (formerly the Assam State Electricity Board) It would be a major boost towards the development of industries and welfare of the people of Assam. They appreciated the Assam Govt. for taking up such ambitious project and also hopeful that it would mitigate the problem of Power shortage to a great extent.
But, at the same, time, they would also like to request you to kindly look into the grievances of the people to be affected as a consequence of the dam construction. The dam would submerge a large area covering several hectors of cultivable land, villages, forest and other private properties. It would also ( subsequently alter the general habited of the local people, mainly Karbis Dimasas, Garos etc. who have settled there from time immemorial. Nevertheless of the fact that, they would definitely be displaced to other areas for dwelling cultivation etc. the local people have a heart of gold and supported the Govt.' decision to go ahead with the project.
In this connection, that they would like to request you on behalf of the 'would be affected people' to kindly address their grievances so that the problem of ‘the before and after project’ could be mitigated to a greater extent. The people were apprehensive that, they might have to meet the same fate as was due to the construction of Kopili Hydro Electric Project by NEEPCO, by the people of Garampani area.
Therefore, they requested to look into the grievances and implement our following demands.
1. Compensation; - Adequate Compensation to all the affected families should be distributed evenly according to their rights for lost properties. For better transparency in the system of payment the process should involve the Dima Hasao Autonomous Council and Managing Director APGCL should open joint Account therein after payment of compensation be made to all affected people on account payee cheque at Umrongso.
2. Rehabilitation;- The affected families must be properly rehabilitated. For this purpose, the company should allocate a separate suitable dwelling land where transport and other communication will be convenient. The company should also provide for construction of colony/ Model Village, Educational Institute, Medical Facilities and New Market place within the area.
3. Employment; - First preference in terms of employment must be given to the local affected people of the 17- Garampani Constituency. Jobs upto 90°/ percent according to qualification should be given to local affected people as also in the 3rd and 4th grade and in the Technical and Non Technical sectors.
4. Contract works & Supply: - All contract works / Supply should be given to the local affected Tribal people in the first place, Upto the capacity other than highly Technical works.
5. CSR-CD Scheme; - The Government must take up CSR-CD Scheme such a playground development, Community Hall Construction, Drinking water facility etc. for the overall development and welfare of the affected people.
6. Implementation of RGGVY Scheme:- The Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) which is a central Govt. Scheme, under th Ministry of Power, Govt. of India is under implementation. But several villages under 17- Garampani Constituency have not been benefited. Therefore, as state Power Minister they humbly requested him to kindly enquire into it, for its full implementation. The villages not benefited were as under Langpharmuk Chotolongku, Rongkhelan, Mungkele, Krungmenglangso, Chotolarpheng Puralangso, New Borolarpheng, Langjin, Dikarbi, Nothenglangso and
7. Road Communication: - The Road Communication is in a deplorable condition for a long time in our area. For example, the Lanka- Garampani Road Likewise, the road from Umrongso to khandong dam, Road from Umrongso to Haflong remains unprepared. Therefore, it was their humble request to kindly look into the matter, the memorandum concluded.