To spread the message of Peace & Brotherhood among the people of Dima Hasao district, the youths of Dima Hasao have organized a candle light peace rally to-day (Friday) at 3 PM.
Hundreds of people responding to the invitation of youths of Dima Hasao take out a silent peace procession from Cultural Institute Hall marched through the major parts of Haflong Town converged at circuit house rotary at Haflong. After submitting a 5 points memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner, Dima Hasao District, they reached at the Town Committee field and dispersed.
The memorandum maintained that
1. The administration needs to be more efficient, especially in responding to the emergencies arising from the cowardly and inhumane acts by the anti-social elements. In the recent burning of Nobodi Daulagupu(gaijon) village, in spite of informing the control room about it at 4.30am, the police team reached the said village only around 8.00am, by the time when the media and NGOs from Haflong were already there.
2. The anti-social elements (who were involved in the recent burning of villages) were trying to draw the attention of the administration by their cruel acts, and projecting themselves as belonging to a large and strong organisation. Therefore, it was an urgent necessity to immediately arrest the culprits and completely flush them out of the district.
3. The victims of the above mentioned gruesome acts (villagers of Nobodi Daulagupu, Choto Longren and Nobodi Gurubari) have been rendered homeless and were living without proper food, shelter and security. Therefore, adequate relief and security measures need to be implemented at the earliest.
4. They request Financial Compensation for the victims, or his/her dependents, who have suffered loss or injury or require rehabilitation as a result of the recent burning of the said villages by the miscreants.
5. The innocent villagers were forced by the miscreants to torch the said villages. Therefore, the presence of the anti-social groups and their evil policies need to be widely publicised as one of the main reasons for social disharmony in the region. It was very clear that the people of this land were all peace loving, except those few evil-minded selfish individuals.
They therefore, appealed to the Government to look into the crisis arising from the mindless acts of those anti-social elements, and to take stern actions against them. The victims of the said villages be duly compensated and peace and harmony restored in the district at the earliest, the memorandum concluded.