Skip to content Skip to navigation

Activists decry India's deferment of pictorial health warnings on tobacco products

Civil society in India has strongly condemned the recent decision of the Group of Ministers (GOM) in India to defer the implementation of pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages which was to come in to effect from November 30, 2008. The pictorial warnings have been deferred, again, till at least end of May 2009.

This decision of GOM is very unfortunate and has appalled the public health community across the country, said members of Advocacy Forum for Tobacco Control (AFTC). By repeatedly postponing the implementation of pack warnings on tobacco packages, the government is failing from performing its important duty to provide essential information to make Indian consumers aware of the effects of tobacco, particularly to the vulnerable poor and the illiterate, further said AFTC members.

“The decision to defer and unduly delay the mandatory placement of pictorial health warnings on tobacco products is a cynical abdication of governmental responsibility to protect people’s health by providing them much required information on the deadly effects of tobacco consumption” said Dr K Srinath Reddy, President, Public Health Foundation of India.

“The government should set up strong and transparent mechanisms at the highest levels to prevent industry interference in the implementation of tobacco control measures and policy making processes. Since the tobacco industry sells a product that kills one million people in India annually, therefore, industry’s interests will always be in conflict with the nation’s public health and economic aspirations” remarked Bhavna B Mukhopadhyay, Senior Director, Voluntary Health Association of India (VHAI).

Article 11 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) imposes a time bound obligation on each of its signatory parties, of which India is also a part, to implement pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages within 3 years of its coming into force. The deadline for India to implement pictorial health warning was 27 February 2008. It’s a national shame that India, once considered a global leader in tobacco control has repeatedly failed to enforce this provision of pictorial health warnings. Countries across the world (who are party to FCTC) have unanimously adopted international standards for implementing the international tobacco control treaty that mandates health warning labels that cover 50 percent or more, and no less than 30 percent, of tobacco packaging and feature effective pictures of health conditions caused by tobacco.

“The news of postponement of implementation of pictorial warnings was most unfortunate. Especially because it came within a day of unanimous adaptation of guidelines for article 11 of FCTC dealing with the packaging and labeling of tobacco products by the Conference of Parties of 160 governments meeting in Durban, South Africa on November 22, 2008. The Government of India was present in that meeting and the decision was applauded by the entire global community” noted Luther Terry Awardee Dr PC Gupta, Director, Healis Sekhsaria Institute for Public Health.

The decision to defer the implementation of already diluted, delayed and long overdue pictorial health warnings on tobacco packages is nothing but retraction of India’s commitment to FCTC. By deferring the implementation of graphic warnings, the international position of India will be pushed much below from the 34th position that was accorded to India in the recent international status report adopted by Canadian Cancer Society to a much lower ranking.

"It is high time that national tobacco control policies in India are congruent to what India is obligated to do by ratifying the international global tobacco treaty - Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Last week in the global meeting, India adopted the strong guidelines for Article 5.3, to protect health policies from tobacco industry interference” remarked Bobby Ramakant, from the Indian Society Against Smoking, Asha Parivar, who also represents Network for Accountability of Tobacco Transnationals (NATT).

Civil society organizations strongly urges to the Indian government to implement the graphic warnings without further delay. The government must act now to protect Indian citizens, especially the vulnerable children and illiterates from serious health hazards caused due to tobacco consumption.

- Shobha Shukla

The author teaches Physics at India's Loreto Convent and has been writing extensively in English and Hindi media. She serves as Editor of Citizen News Service (CNS). Email: shobha@citizen-news.org, website: www.citizen-news.org

Comments

Dr Jayakrishnan.T's picture

Very good. I am a faculty in medical college. My article on this issue will be published in ijme -April issue.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

The United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) has accused the Government of shying away from peace talk saying it has become clear that the only government has been lacking interest and goodwill for a fruitful negotiation. In a statement, the chairman of the proscribed outfit Arbinda Rajkhowa said the door for political negotiation is still open.
Once again the NEEPCO is running into a rough weather. There is report that the Black Widow militants have demanded a Rs 1 crore ransom from the general manager of the power corporation. This has forced the authority to beef up security ring in the region. Notably, the militants have been striking the area. On February 11, they struck a convoy of Assam Police battalion while it was escorting the Kopili poject employees from the project site to the colony area. Four people including three security men dead in the attack. This has forced the closure of the Kopili power project. Very recently, the militants killed four employees of the Vinoj Cement factory by attacking two dumping trucks and...
Today is Bir Chilarai Day which is being observed across the state with a number of programmes. Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is schedule to attend a public meeting being organized to mark the occasion in Amingaon based Chilarai Park. To be presided over All Asam Koch Rajbanshi Association Dr Durlabh Chamua, health and family welfare minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma, transport minister Chandan Brahma with former minister Anjan Dutta will attend the meeting. Meanwhile, Bir Chilarai Award this year been announced to kargil Hero Zintu Gogoi.
Former Team India captain Saurav Ganguly and his successor Mahender Singh Dhoni will be seen in action when they will lead Bengal and Jharkhand respectively at the East Zone Ranji Trophy cicket championships slated for February 26 in Guwahati. According to Asam Cricket Association officials, apart from the home team, Orissa, Tripura will also join the battle for the Cup. Other cricketing stars include Randep Bose, SS Paul, Sunder das, Niranjan behera, Debashis Mohanty and Sadgopal Ramesh.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is leaving for Tripura on Wednesday to campaign for the upcoming Assembly polls slated for February 23. According to information, Mr Gogoi is schedule to address poll rally in Kailashnagar on Wednesday and will stay for the night. On Thursday, the Chief Minister will also campaign in Dharmanagar area before leaving back to Guwahati.
Union minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi and Oscar Fernandage today had a narrow escaped from a major accident when their helicopter caught in bad weather while he was returning from North Tripura district after campaigning for Congress candidates with Prime Minister. His helicopter had to roam in the air for more then half an hour before the pilot managed to noseland in Agartala. In yet another incident, a helicopter in the same route also met the same fate in which union minister Oscar Fernandage was traveling with Assam Rajya Sabha MP Dijwen Sharma.
The police could not produce the arrested PCG member and MASS leader Lachit Bordoloi before the court as he has been rushed to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital following his ailment police on Tuesday failed to produce him before the Kamrup district judicial magistrate. The peace broker and human rights leader Lachit Bordoloi has been rushed to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital on Monday following complains of Melina, spondelities and piles. He was arrested by police on 11th of February charging with a bid to hijack an Indian Airlines plane with ULFA on the basis of the confessional statement of an arrested ULFA cadre Manoj Tamuly.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who also hold the finance portfolio, will table the state budget for 2008-2009 on the floor of the Assam Assembly session on March 10. According to information, the session will start on March 3 with the address of Assam Governor Lt General (retd) Ajoy Kumar Singh. The business advisory committee of the House will finalise the proceeding in its meeting on February 25.
The gun has yet to fall silent atop the North Cachar hills. In yet another strike, the Black Widow militants killed four people of the Vinoy Cement Factory on Tuesday in Umrangsu at a distance of more than 100 from Haflong. According to information, the strike took place at around 11 in the morning while the militants attacked two dumper cars at a distance of 5 kilometer away from the factory. Further, the militants set the two dumper cars ablaze. Notably, in its earlier attack, the militants killed four people including three security personnel while they attacked a convoy carrying Kopili power project officials to their colony campus. This has forced the employees of the NEEPCO-owned...
Normal life in the state has come to a grinding halt across the state due to the 12-hour Assam bandh on Tuesday. Called by the United Liberation Front of Asom, the bandh is by and large peaceful. There is no report of any incidents during this period. Schools, colleges, offices, business, financial and establishments are remaining closed. All sorts vehicles are remaining off from the streets. The city is remaining closed and calm. The bandh began at 5-30 in the morning to end at 5-30 in the evening. However, train and flight services are operating normally during the bandh hours. The bandh however, had no impact in North Cachar and Karbi Anglong districts. The ULFA called the bandh...