Skip to content Skip to navigation

Activists decry India's deferment of pictorial health warnings on tobacco products

Civil society in India has strongly condemned the recent decision of the Group of Ministers (GOM) in India to defer the implementation of pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages which was to come in to effect from November 30, 2008. The pictorial warnings have been deferred, again, till at least end of May 2009.

This decision of GOM is very unfortunate and has appalled the public health community across the country, said members of Advocacy Forum for Tobacco Control (AFTC). By repeatedly postponing the implementation of pack warnings on tobacco packages, the government is failing from performing its important duty to provide essential information to make Indian consumers aware of the effects of tobacco, particularly to the vulnerable poor and the illiterate, further said AFTC members.

“The decision to defer and unduly delay the mandatory placement of pictorial health warnings on tobacco products is a cynical abdication of governmental responsibility to protect people’s health by providing them much required information on the deadly effects of tobacco consumption” said Dr K Srinath Reddy, President, Public Health Foundation of India.

“The government should set up strong and transparent mechanisms at the highest levels to prevent industry interference in the implementation of tobacco control measures and policy making processes. Since the tobacco industry sells a product that kills one million people in India annually, therefore, industry’s interests will always be in conflict with the nation’s public health and economic aspirations” remarked Bhavna B Mukhopadhyay, Senior Director, Voluntary Health Association of India (VHAI).

Article 11 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) imposes a time bound obligation on each of its signatory parties, of which India is also a part, to implement pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages within 3 years of its coming into force. The deadline for India to implement pictorial health warning was 27 February 2008. It’s a national shame that India, once considered a global leader in tobacco control has repeatedly failed to enforce this provision of pictorial health warnings. Countries across the world (who are party to FCTC) have unanimously adopted international standards for implementing the international tobacco control treaty that mandates health warning labels that cover 50 percent or more, and no less than 30 percent, of tobacco packaging and feature effective pictures of health conditions caused by tobacco.

“The news of postponement of implementation of pictorial warnings was most unfortunate. Especially because it came within a day of unanimous adaptation of guidelines for article 11 of FCTC dealing with the packaging and labeling of tobacco products by the Conference of Parties of 160 governments meeting in Durban, South Africa on November 22, 2008. The Government of India was present in that meeting and the decision was applauded by the entire global community” noted Luther Terry Awardee Dr PC Gupta, Director, Healis Sekhsaria Institute for Public Health.

The decision to defer the implementation of already diluted, delayed and long overdue pictorial health warnings on tobacco packages is nothing but retraction of India’s commitment to FCTC. By deferring the implementation of graphic warnings, the international position of India will be pushed much below from the 34th position that was accorded to India in the recent international status report adopted by Canadian Cancer Society to a much lower ranking.

"It is high time that national tobacco control policies in India are congruent to what India is obligated to do by ratifying the international global tobacco treaty - Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Last week in the global meeting, India adopted the strong guidelines for Article 5.3, to protect health policies from tobacco industry interference” remarked Bobby Ramakant, from the Indian Society Against Smoking, Asha Parivar, who also represents Network for Accountability of Tobacco Transnationals (NATT).

Civil society organizations strongly urges to the Indian government to implement the graphic warnings without further delay. The government must act now to protect Indian citizens, especially the vulnerable children and illiterates from serious health hazards caused due to tobacco consumption.

- Shobha Shukla

The author teaches Physics at India's Loreto Convent and has been writing extensively in English and Hindi media. She serves as Editor of Citizen News Service (CNS). Email: shobha@citizen-news.org, website: www.citizen-news.org

Comments

Dr Jayakrishnan.T's picture

Very good. I am a faculty in medical college. My article on this issue will be published in ijme -April issue.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

The ceasefire between UPDS and government has been extended for yet another term of six months. The truce pact extension came up a day after the Karbi militant outfit seeking it on condition that there must be sitting between the two sides in a period of three months. A day after it had expressed willingness, the centre responded and extended truce for another 6 month period. Notably, the ceasefire term ended on January 31, 2007. Both the sides came forward to renew the pact and instead the militant cadres went underground. But of late, the outfit operating in Karbi hills wrote it to the Union home ministry and the Assam police wishing the extension of the pact.
An uneasy situation is prevailing in Tinsukia district’s Kakopathar area following the killing of three people in two separate incidents by suspected ULFA militants. According to information, some five suspected ULFA militants arrived in the site of Bhaona in Sarumethai village under kakopathar police station at around 6 in the evening. Then they went inside the green room and pumped several rounds of bullets on one Pradip Hazarika who were getting busy with preparation for his role. They further beat up another youth Jiten Changmai. Later in yet another incident near the village Bormethai village, some other suspected ULFA militants gunned down another youth Bharen Mora, an OB...
Three KLNLF extremists including its area commander Makrang Dingklu were killed during an encounter with the Army early in the morning on Friday in Kamalabheti along the Nagaon-Karbi Anglong border. According to information, the Army’s massive operation is still going on in the area. Later a huge cache of arms and ammunition have been recovered from the encounter site. These include two AK056 rifles, 4 guns, 6 magazines, 177 live bullets. Details are awaited.
Police have destroyed opium cultivation at a plot of 12 bighas in Ganakguri gaoan in Sorbhog and arrested the landlord Gajen Das on Thursday. According to information, acting on a tip off, a police team led by Officer in charge of Barpeta Road police station Purna Baruah, Barnagar Circle officer Biraj Saudcircle inspector A Ahmed with a few excise department officials saw a plot measuring 12 bigha with opium crop on it. The plot was owned by one Gajen Das. They have destroyed the entire plot during the operation. According to landlord Gajen Das he did not know there his plot was used for opium cultivation. His son allowed a few people utlise the plot. He is now at large.
498th Birthday of Mahabir Chilarai is being organized by Assam Government, All Assam Koch Rajbonshi Sanmilani in association with Guwahati Metro administration at Amingaon near Guwahatti on 21-02-08. Pix by UB Photos.
Dr. Suraj Singh Baghl, Vice Chancellor Assam Agricultural University along with AASU Adviser Samujjal Bhattacharya seen collecting its first consignment of potatoes produced jointly by AASU and Asom Unnati Sabha at Barpeta on 21-02-08. This cultivation is being done on a land of 5000 bighas. Pix by UB Photos.
The fears of kala azars that gripped the people across the state have been allayed by the Guwhati Medical College Hospital authorities on Thursday. According ton information, the confirmation was followed by the report of testconducted on eleven people which have proved negative. These people have been rushed to the Guwahti medical College Hospital very recently. The doctors feared it to the case of kala azars in view of the symptoms which has clear resemblance of this fata disease. These people who have been rushed to the hoispital including two children from Panikhaity area in the outskirt of the city. All but a woman patient have fled from the hospital whil they were undergoing treatment...
The opposition Asom Gana Parishad has started it hectic political confabulations to ensure its candidate in the upcoming Rajya Sabha election in March. But this time rift within the party heavyweights are set to be widen. The regional party has several faces this time emerging as aspirants for the Rajya sabha. Even the name of the party president Brindabon Goswami is also coming up. Others include Apurba Kumar Bhattacharjee and Quin Oja, Durgadas Boro, Hiten Goswami, Atul Bora, Hiranya Konwar, Prabin Boro,. It party high command will almost find it difficult to sort out a name of these aspirants. The opposition party is pins hope on one of these seats which will be falling vacant following...
As many as eleven people from Panikhaity area in the outskirt of the city have been admitted to the Guwahati Medical College following some complaints resembling to kala azar. But the medical authority have yet to confirm it saying kala azar could be confirmed only after the necessary test. But his has forced the authority to sound alert in view of these chronic and potentially fatal parasitic diseases. The GMCH authorities have said they have been conducting tests but the results have yet to come. The state health department is set to sent instructions to all district administrations to deal with the situation firmly.
The arrest of Lachit Bordoloi charging him with ULFA’s bid to hijack an IA plane has mired in controversy with the arrested ULFA cadre Manoj Tamuly on Wednesday declaring that Lachit Bordoloi is not to him. Speaking to reporters at the Kamrup district session court premises on Wednesday the ULFA cadre further disclosed that Nekibur Zaman is also not known to him. This remains a widespread controversy as police have said the PCG member has been arrested on the basis of the confessional statement of Manoj Tamuly. On the other hand, the Air Deccan employee who was accusing of the plane hijack bid earlier said he was not known to manoj Tamuly and Lachit Bordoloi.