Cutting across party barriers Congress, BJP and AGP had refused to respond to the Speaker's appeal unless the collected fund was divided between Assam and Bihar.
Congress MP from Assam Kirip Chaliha will not pay any money for flood relief in Bihar. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati on Monday, Chaliha said he is ready to urge both Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee and Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari to issue an appeal to help Assam flood victims in the same line.
Chaliha said, “the Assam MPs are unhappy over the fact that Mr Chatterjee has issued an appeal only for Bihar when similar destruction has taken place in Assam also.”.
The MP from Guwahati made it clear that he would not respond to the appeal of the Speaker of donating Rs 25 lakh by each MP from the local area development fund for the flood victims in Bihar.
According to Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) MP Arun Kumar Sarma, ''Assam is also under water like Bihar and I do not think my inner sense will respond to the Speaker's call that Rs 25 lakh from the MP local area development fund should be handed over to Bihar for relief and rehabilitation when there are so many things to be done in Assam,'' said whose constituency is the most flood prone of the region.
BJP MP Rajen Gohain said, he would also follow the suit adding, “'when my own house is under water why and how should we help others? The ruling Congress too has joined the growing chorus.
Meanwhile, AGP MP Sarbananda Sonowal had already wrote it to the Vice-President as well as the Lok Sabha Speaker on the same issue urging them to intervene on behalf of Assam.
PermalinkSubmitted by Juri Gogoi on Wed, 10/09/2008 - 15:54
I fully support the MPs of Assam and agree with the version given by Rajen Gohain that when my own house is under water and in the same condition; how can I even think for the neighbours. Top of that when there is a Bihar state Governement along with the state Assembly, MPs and local MLAs of Bihar and the Central Government to look after the state, why it is focused on specially only the Assam MPs. Will Lalu Prasad yadav will come and help the Assam flood victims?
Yes, on humanity ground, we have no objection if somebody offers any help for the flood victim willingly, in fact we will appreciate.
PermalinkSubmitted by Neelakshi Barua on Wed, 10/09/2008 - 20:15
I have totally failed to understand the hue and cry over the floods in Bihar. While the flood victims have my total sympathy, after all who knows floods better than the axomiyas, I have never seen much noise being made about floods in Assam at any point of time in the past. If any donations have to be made it should be for the Assamese flood affected people first; then only can we turn our attention to other states. Moreover I do not see much reaction from the Centre about the state of the rhinos in Kaziranga affected by the floods. This, after being the only sanctuary where the one horned rhino is found in such abundance in the world.The MPs have every right to refuse to donate and I am glad that they have spoken up so openly about it. Hopefully the Centre will open their eyes and wake up to the situation in Assam.
-- Neelakshi.
PermalinkSubmitted by Indranee Dutta on Thu, 11/09/2008 - 19:56
After a long slumber at last our own MPs have woken up for a cause. I hope they will keep waking till other serious problems of the state are addressed by the Center. Assam needs proactive sensitive, honest, thoughtful and bold leaders, which we are yet to see.
PermalinkSubmitted by Saurav on Mon, 15/09/2008 - 03:05
We, the people of Assam, are to blame for the poor state of affair in our state. We take it for granted that we have to live in the same state as we have been living in the past. Floods come every year yet we do not project this to the whole world. Our projection is not up to the mark. It is not only the "news" that matters, our CM should have been crying at the top of his voice. We are too proud to cry and for ages have been missing on the milk. It is good to see our ministers cutting across party lines to demand for a fair treatment to our flood victims. But it would be more effective if the same press conference is held at Delhi to make their presence felt. This issue has not found place in any of the national news.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday appealed to the political parties not to indulge in blamegame on the BTAD clash and massive exodus of north east people from the southern side. He said it when he convened an all party meeting in Dispur on Friday. The meeting decided to dispatch an all party delegation to the riot hit areas.
The overall situation in Rangiya is by and large normal on Friday where curfew was relaxed. According to police, security forces are maintaining a strict vigil in Rangiya, as well as other trouble-torn areas of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa districts. Shops and markets in Rangiya opened in the morning after relaxation of the curfew. Senior police and administration officials are camping at Rangiya to oversee the situation.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday appealed to the north east living in Mumbai, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh not to give in to rumours of attack. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati, Gogoi said that there was panic amongst the students and people hailing from north east. Gogoi said,“a lot of rumours are doing the rounds and this is creating panic amongst the people. There is no need to panic, people should not give in to rumours.” DoNER minister also said a circle of unidentified people are spreading rumours spread resulting in the exodus. He spoke to the Karnataka Home Secretary and appealed to the people not to panic or believe rumours.
Over 6,000 people hailing from Assam have left Bangalore are arriving the home state on Thursday following rumours of attack by miscreants after the BTAD clashes. According to reports, the people, mostly, students fear safety and security as they received anonymous SMSes saying they would be targeted in retaliatory attacks.In a scene that suggests utter panic, many people were seen boarding trains out of Bangalore on Wednesday, even after Karnataka's Home Minister R Ashok asked them not to leave the IT city. Karnataka DGP Lalrokhuma Pachuau appealed to the Northeast students to not panic. He said that they should not panic as there is not a single attack anywhere. Railway PRO in Banglore...
The Centre on Thursday said that there was no threat to the people of Assam in any part of the country.Reacting to the spreading rumour and panic thaty gripped among the people of Assam, he said that there is no need to panic. Following rumours of attack on some of their compatriots, about 5,000 people from returned to their home towns even as Karnataka chief minister Jagadish Shettar assured them of security.Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde spoke to Shettar on Wednesday night and were understood to have asked him to ensure the safety of people from Assam.
There is report of fresh violence in BTAD areas. The violence broke out in Baksa district when police opened fire at the mob on Thursday morning. Police opened fire to disperse mob which had reportedly torched a bus and bridge in Baksa district. Army has been deployed in Tamalpur area of Baksa district.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari said that the fresh violence in BTAD violence is unfortunate and that immigrants are behind the clashes. He observed that the strings of violence in Assam are unfortunate, there seems to be a foreign angle to this. The violence comes a day after government's deadline to the villagers to return to their homes ended. The violence that have so far claimed 77 lives, is appearing to be spreading in the other parts of the state.
Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi says on Wednesday that his government will continue the initiatives to help the state develope on all fronts. Unfurling the national tri colour at Khanapara in the morning, Gogoi said that the development initiatives are paying dividends.
Gogoi said that the violence-hit people in the refugee camps would be taken care of. Gogoi, who unfurled the tricolour for 12th times took salute of the armed forces and NCC.
Pune police are running a massive drive to find out the miscreants behind spreading MMS clip and text SMS on the recent BTAD and Dhubri incidents. At least 10 students from north east have been beaten up in a string of incidents in the last three days in Kondhwa and Pune Camp areas of the city. Eleven others have been arrested in two of these cases so far for doctoring MMS clips and text messages on recent ethnic riots in BTAD areas and Dhubri district.
According to reports, hunt is on to find out the masterminds of these attacks and ascertain how these videos were circulated. Investigations so far seem to indicate those involved in the attacks since August 8 had seen doctored videos on...
More than 400 students are believed to have fled from Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharasthra fearing attack in the time of BTAD riot. According to reports, 400 Bodo, Koch-Rajbongshi and Adivasi youths have come back to Kokrajhar district after being humiliated by some miscreants in those States following the clash in BTAD. This is apart from 30 Bodo students who have come back to Chirang in the past few days fearing attack in these states.
AASU and ABSU leaders have expressed concern over the exodus of students and urged the government to provide them security in those states.
Comments
Pages
Add new comment