Skip to content Skip to navigation

Assam MP refuses to pay for Bihar flood: Cong MP follows the suit

Cutting across party barriers Congress, BJP and AGP had refused to respond to the Speaker's appeal unless the collected fund was divided between Assam and Bihar.

Congress MP from Assam Kirip Chaliha will not pay any money for flood relief in Bihar. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati on Monday, Chaliha said he is ready to urge both Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee and Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari to issue an appeal to help Assam flood victims in the same line.

Chaliha said, “the Assam MPs are unhappy over the fact that Mr Chatterjee has issued an appeal only for Bihar when similar destruction has taken place in Assam also.”.

The MP from Guwahati made it clear that he would not respond to the appeal of the Speaker of donating Rs 25 lakh by each MP from the local area development fund for the flood victims in Bihar.

According to Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) MP Arun Kumar Sarma, ''Assam is also under water like Bihar and I do not think my inner sense will respond to the Speaker's call that Rs 25 lakh from the MP local area development fund should be handed over to Bihar for relief and rehabilitation when there are so many things to be done in Assam,'' said whose constituency is the most flood prone of the region.

BJP MP Rajen Gohain said, he would also follow the suit adding, “'when my own house is under water why and how should we help others? The ruling Congress too has joined the growing chorus.

Meanwhile, AGP MP Sarbananda Sonowal had already wrote it to the Vice-President as well as the Lok Sabha Speaker on the same issue urging them to intervene on behalf of Assam.

Comments

Juri Gogoi's picture

I fully support the MPs of Assam and agree with the version given by Rajen Gohain that when my own house is under water and in the same condition; how can I even think for the neighbours. Top of that when there is a Bihar state Governement along with the state Assembly, MPs and local MLAs of Bihar and the Central Government to look after the state, why it is focused on specially only the Assam MPs. Will Lalu Prasad yadav will come and help the Assam flood victims? Yes, on humanity ground, we have no objection if somebody offers any help for the flood victim willingly, in fact we will appreciate.
YK Shrestha's picture

Very true. I want to donate some money. How do we do that? Has the CM of Axom opened any account?
Neelakshi Barua's picture

I have totally failed to understand the hue and cry over the floods in Bihar. While the flood victims have my total sympathy, after all who knows floods better than the axomiyas, I have never seen much noise being made about floods in Assam at any point of time in the past. If any donations have to be made it should be for the Assamese flood affected people first; then only can we turn our attention to other states. Moreover I do not see much reaction from the Centre about the state of the rhinos in Kaziranga affected by the floods. This, after being the only sanctuary where the one horned rhino is found in such abundance in the world.The MPs have every right to refuse to donate and I am glad that they have spoken up so openly about it. Hopefully the Centre will open their eyes and wake up to the situation in Assam. -- Neelakshi.
Indranee Dutta's picture

After a long slumber at last our own MPs have woken up for a cause. I hope they will keep waking till other serious problems of the state are addressed by the Center. Assam needs proactive sensitive, honest, thoughtful and bold leaders, which we are yet to see.
Saurav's picture

We, the people of Assam, are to blame for the poor state of affair in our state. We take it for granted that we have to live in the same state as we have been living in the past. Floods come every year yet we do not project this to the whole world. Our projection is not up to the mark. It is not only the "news" that matters, our CM should have been crying at the top of his voice. We are too proud to cry and for ages have been missing on the milk. It is good to see our ministers cutting across party lines to demand for a fair treatment to our flood victims. But it would be more effective if the same press conference is held at Delhi to make their presence felt. This issue has not found place in any of the national news.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

NDFB(P) on Saturday alleged that arms are flooding BTAD areas which is why, trouble refuses to die down. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati, NDFB(P) leader Govinda Basumatary held AIUDF president Badaruddin Ajmal for the entire string of group clash in the BTAD areas.
Education minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma’s resignation still mires in utter confusion. Dr Sarma, who has already put in his papers from the cabinet has not yet formally made any announcement. He further has sent resignation letter to Assam Assembly Speaker Pranab Gogoi to quit as MLA. But Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has not so far confirmed the receipt of the resignation. When asked, Gogoi on Saturday refused to divulge anything.
Karnataka chief minister Jagadish Shettar claimed on Saturday that normalcy is back to Bangalore. He expressed confidence that the north east people would soon be back in the city. He said that some rumours have forced the north east people to leave Banglore and that not one untoward incident has taken place in Bangalore. But five persons have been arrested by the police. The Karanataka chief minister also said ministers from northeastern states had inspected the steps taken by his government and had expressed satisfaction.
Unidentified swindler duped a 67-year-old woman drawing a huge amount of money through ATM in Jorhat on Satrday. According to police, Baharti Kalita asked a stranger at the counter on Friday night when the ATM near her failed to respond properly. After he came to know the secret code, the stranger handed her a fake ATM card and vanished from the ATM counter. Rs 1.54 lakh was missing from her account when the woman came draw the money with the fake card. An FIR was filed by her in the Jorhat police station against the stranger.
Fresh violence is reported from Kokrajkhar where one more person was killed on Friday. According to report, unidentified miscreants shot dead a person at Kokrajhar. The shoot out took place at around 7.30 in the evening where three assailants came on motorbikes.
Police in Bangaluru on Friday have arrested five persons charging them with spreading rumours of impending attack by miscreants. Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar intensified measures to instill confidence among the northeastern community that has been leaving the state following ethnic violence against them. The state government has also asked all agencies to scan all social media platforms to check for inflammatory and offensive content. Cellphone operators have been told to block all bulk SMS-es and videos.
Yet another cabinet team has reached Hyderabad on Friday in a bid to stop the exodus of the north east people from Andhara Pradesh. Ministers Pradyut Bordoloi and Rakibul Hussain, and MLA Bikshapathi Yadav reviewed the situation in Anajaiahnagar and Siddiquenagar where a large number of Assamese people are fleeing to their home state fearing attack.
The Assam government on Friday rushed to cabinet teams to Bangalore and Hyderabad to help the states stop massive exodus of the north east people. Assam Agriculture Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka and Transport Minister Chandan Brahma arrived at Bangalore Railway station. They would meet the state government in Karnataka to review the situation. Brahma met the students and other members of the Assamese community living in Karnataka. He said that he would remain in Bangalore for the next two days. Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok and Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar along with Congress leaders Oscar Fernandes, G Parameshwar and Dinesh Gundu Rao were also present on the...
The aftermath of BTAD violence has resulted in a string of violence in Lucknow in the form of arson under the garb of agitation to protest violence against Muslims in Assam and Myanmar. Around 50 people created ruckus in the crowded Hazratganj area violence soon after Friday prayer. Soon after the namaz, a mob which reportedly came out of from a mosque in Wazirganj area marched in the form of procession till Buddha park before turning violent. The miscreants broke window panes of several vehicles and tried to set afire a few.
ULFA commander-in-chief Paresh Barua on Friday said the internal conflict between a senior minister and the Chief Minister has resulted in the BTAD clash. In a statement, ULFA urged the people of Assam to support the ‘call of sovereignty’, failing which the cycle of violence in the region would continue.