The Assam Higher Secondary Education Council has announced the results of its Higher Secondary Examination, 2008 held in February-March showing a percentage of successful candidates of ten year high in the all the science, arts and commerce streams.
The percentage of successful candidates in arts stream is 65.33 per cent, and the figure stands at 80.73 per cent in science. The percentage of successful candidates in commerce stream is 69.96 per cent.
Out of 15,093 candidates in science stream, 4,629 candidates have secured first division, 6,368 in second division and the successful candidates placed in third division are 12,185.
In arts, the number of candidates appeared is 1,37,270 and out of these candidates 5,882 have secured first division 21,397candidates have been placed in second division while altogether 89,679 candidates have come out successful in third division.
Altogether 10,429 candidates appeared in commerce stream and 1,142 candidates have secured in first division, 3,774 in second division and 7,296 candidates have been placed in third division. Girls are continuing the lead the boys in the number of successful candidates in both science and commerce. But in the arts stream, the number of successful boys’ candidates more than that of the girls albeit slightly.
The first of the top ten candidates in arts has secured a ten year high of total 449. The candidate in the same position in science stream has secured 430 which is a ten year high. Same it in the case of the first position holder in commerce stream who has obtained 456.
Jorhat tops the number of successful candidates in arts stream with 72.89 per cent. In commerce stream, the position goes to Hailakandi with 86.74 pr cent and Dibrugarh tops the science stream with 88.96 per cent successful candidates.
Around 10,000 people joined Assam Jatiyabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad’s massive protest rally on Saturday in Guwahati demanding expulsion of illegal immigrants from the state. The protestors further demanded quick update of the National Register of Citizens. People of all walks of life joined the rally with slogans seeking immediate ouster of foreigners, immediate update of the NRC and slammed the state and the Centre. They also accused the government of aiding and abetting the immigrants.
The rally is amongst the many that have had been organized in the state in the last few fortnights. On September 6, the North East Students' Organisation, in association with All Assam Students' Union...
A local court in Nalbari remanded two youths to six days police custody a day after the duo were charged of killing a local businessman Ashsis Maskara in the town on Friday. Police produced the Chandan Kalita and Kunaldeep Sindhu before the court who sent them to police custody on Saturday. During police interrogation hours after the incident, they confessed that they attacked the businessman. Police further recovered 5 lakh rupees from their possession. Maskara was shot dead when he was on his way to a bank.
Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday said that there was no threat to the UPA government after the Union cabinet decided to proceed with the FDI on retail. Talking to reporters in Delhi, Gogoi said that Mamata Banerjee can’t prevent other states from implementing the FDI decision. Gogoi said that the benefits of economic reforms initiated by Manmohan Singh as Finance Minister in early 1990s is being reaped by everyone now and yesterday's decision would be cherished by everyone in the years to come.
Defying the countrywide resistance, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday welcomed the 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail. Talking to reporters in Delhi on Saturday he said that those opposed to it should not prevent others. He called the decision a bold one and said that under no circumstances should it be reversed. According to him, it would benefit the farmers, consumers and boost the rural economy with the setting up of cold storage and other infrastructure. Gogoi was among the first to ask the Centre to take the decision of FDI in multi-brand retail as it would help in the growth of small and medium enterprises, cottage industries and overall rural economy.
The Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday burnt the effigy of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Petroleum Minister S Jaypal Reddy in the district protesting against the steep diesel price hike. AGP workers in Barpeta district unit shouted slogans against the UPA government and demanded immediate roll back of the price hike that will lead to economic hardship of the people. District leaders said that the UPA government does not think about the general people's problem as the price of all petroleum products and essential goods will naturally rise.
Amid an all out drive against immigrants, railway police on Saturday arrested an illegal Bangladeshi migrant from the Guwahati station. The Bangladeshi national was apprehended from platform number No 3 during an operation by the RPF. He was identified as 30-year-old Mohamed Ali, a resident of Bangladesh's Mirpur.
Security has been beefed up in Guwahati following ULFA’s threat to strike in the city with car blast. Checking has been intensified following intelligence inputs that cadres of ULFA opposed to peace talks between the rival faction and New Delh have been trying to sneak into the city. People have been asked to alert police about suspicious Maruti vans. All entry and exit routes are under strict vigil.
Ajmal Foundation has shown its gesture for some affected journalists of Assam. Under its Ajmal Media Welfare Scheme, the foundation has offered financial supports to 6 media persons in a function held at Guwahati Press Club on September 14, 2012.
The foundation has offered Rs 75000 to the closed relative of Raihan Nayum, a reporter of Ganachabuk, who was killed on September 8 last in Dhubri. Similarly Raj Kumar Sahu (DY365 with Rs 50000), Amulya Nath (NewsLive with Rs 25000), Sarat Das (NewsLive with Rs 25000), Lalit Sarma (DY365 with Rs 25000) and Kulen Kalita (Janambhumi with Rs 25000) were also awarded.
Khasrul Islam, manager of Ajmal Foundation, who was present on the occasion...
At least six people have been injured when suspected ULFA militants exploded a powerful bomb in Tinsukia district on Saturday. The explosion took place in the heart of Digboi town at around 7-15 in the evening where one of these six people were seriously injured. Top ranked police and civil officials rushed to the spot and cordoned off the entire area to nab the culprits. The injured have been shifted to the hospital. But no outfit has so far claimed the responsibility.
Bodoland Peoples' Front MLA Pradeep Brahma on Friday was released a day after the Gauhati high court granted him bail. Brahma, who is lodged in Kokrajhar jail, was granted bail on Thursday in all cases filed against him, against two sureties of Rs 30,000 each. The high court asked Brahma to deposit his passport at the sub divisional judicial magistrate's court in Kokrajhar and take permission of the concerned magistrate before visiting the violence-hit places there. It also directed him to cooperate with the police in case of further investigations. Brahma was arrested on August 22 on the basis of seven FIRs lodged against him at Dotoma and Fakiragram police stations in Kokrajhar.
Comments
Pages
Add new comment