Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

A home ministry team visited Dhubri to take stock of the prevailing law and order scene in the district in the wake of the spreading ethnic clash. Led by home ministry’s joint secretary attached to the north eastern region, Sambhu Singh the team left for Dhubri at 12-30 in the afternoon from Guwahati with a group of high level officials of para military forces. The team reviewed the situation with senior civil and police officials during the day long visit.
Three persons died and several others have been injured at an incident of landslide on the National Highway leading to Shillong on Thursday. The incident took place in Byrnihat at around 5 in the morning when two trucks and a hut were covered with mud on the roadside. Meghalaya policemen rushed to the spot and rescued some of people. The injured people have been sent to the hospital. The entire portion has been undergoing expansion work. Meanwhile, the landslide has resulted in a huge traffic snarl to and from Guwahati.
A magistrate was seriously injured on his stock taking visit to Kokrajhar on Thursday. The incident took place in the morning when circle officer Bipul Saikia was on the way to inspect the refugee camp in Kokrajhar. All of a sudden, unidentified miscreants started pelting stones at his vehicles leaving him seriously injured. His vehicle was also damaged in the incident.
Assam governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik has appealed to the trouble mongers to abandon the path of violence in any form and work for the promotion of peace, amity; communal harmony. Patnaik, who is currently in Delhi has expressed his deep shock at the on going strings of disturbances in Kokrajhar and Chirang where 41 people lost their lives. In a statement, he stated that the growth, progress and prosperity of the people are totally dependant on the maintenance of peace, amity and good neighborliness’ among all communities.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is on a stock taking visit to Kokrajhar on Thursday five days after the ethnic clash claimed 42 people in BTAD areas. Gogoi, who flew on helicopter from Guwahati reached the trouble torn Kokrajhar at 11 in the morning and met senior civil, police and para military officials. He further visited a few refugee camps to oversee the relief measures in the district. Significantly, he skipped his proposed visit to Gossaigaon during his day long visit to BTAD areas. Over two lakh people from 400 villages are living in some 120 relief camps after moving out of the violence hit areas.
Fresh orgy of clashes reported in Bagsa where three people have been on Thursday. The incident took place in Bennabari area under Musolpur police station where three persons have been shot at in the wee hours. They have been rushed to the hospital. Meanwhile, 13 columns of the Army have been deployed in Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Bongaigaon. Idefinite curfew and shoot-at-sight orders are also in place in these four districts that are most affected by the violence.
Assam chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is visiting the Kokrajhar, the worst-hit in the ethnic clash where over 25 people were killed during the last five days. Gogoi is leaving for Kokrajhar in the morning where he is scheduled to hold a high level meeting of army, police and civil heavyweights. Apart from this, Gogoi is scheduled to visit a few refugee camps in the district where displaced people are pouring in. Meanwhile, five cabinet ministers are camping in the trouble torn areas to monitor the situation.
Army on Thursday claimed to have partially brought the situation under control in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts. There is no report of any fresh orgy of clash during the last 12 hours. Meanwhile, passenger and goods trains services had partially resumed on Wednesday evening and the delayed trains were expected to resume their journey with the ‘improvement’ in the situation. Earlier a total of 30 passenger trains and 20 goods trains carrying grains and medicines were stranded along a thin passage that connects Assam from rest of India.
The ethnic flare up forces thousands of people in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri to flee to north Bengal. These people, mostly, taking shelter in Alipurduar. But road transport in the West Bengal border district was severally hit near Kumargram area in Jalpaiguri district after borders areas were sealed. A 12-year-old girl was admitted to the Alipurduar Hospital after being shot at by the miscreants on Wednesday.
Amarjyoti Kalita was brought back to Guwahati a day after Assam police got five days transit remand of the main accused in the GS Road case. A three member team led by senior police officer Ranjan Bhuyan, landed at the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in the evening. He was straightly rushed to the Panbazar police station where the special investigation team set up to probe the case start interrogating him in this connection. He was handed over to Assam police in Varansi on Tuesday when he was produced before a local court.