Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Union Home Minister P Chidambaram is likely to visit Kokrajhar and Chirang on Monday to take stock of the situation in the riot hit districts. During the hurricane tour, the Union home minister is be apprised of the prevailing law and order situation by meet top civil and police officers. Chidambaram is likely to call on the leaders of both the groups to end the conflict. According to unconfirmed sources, he is likely to visit one or two relief camps set up for those affected people.
There is some let-up in Kokrajhar and Chirang. But the situation is tense. There is no report of any fresh incident of violence during the last 7 hours. Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday said that situation was back to normal barring a few stray incident. Four bodies were recovered in Gossaigaon on Friday taking the death toll to 58.
BJP on Friday blamed it all on Dispur for not taking timely action to rein in the ethnic violence in Assam. BJP activists staged a protest rally in New Delhi on Friday condemning the clash that took a heavy toll in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts. The protestors shouted slogans alleging the utter inefficiency of the state government. Party leader Vijay Goel accused state government of a delayed action in the deployment of army in the disturbed areas. He further held the illegal migrants responsible for the clash.
The weeklong ethnic clash seems to have kept the state’s political scene on the boil. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati on Friday, AGP leader Atul Bora said that during their stock-taking visit to BTAD on Thursday, they got wind of a bitter conspiracy behind this ethnic clash that has taken a heavy toll. On the other hand, CPI would take out a peace rally on the streets of Guwahati on Saturday.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has partially blamed the Centre for providing him with inadequate security forces to bring the situation under control. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati on Fruday, Gogoi said that a reduction in Central forces has put him in a fix. Gogoi also that his resignation over the issue was not going to help reduce the tension. “Had there been full forces there, the situation could have been controlled,” he said. Gogoi made it clear that he was not making it a vote bank politics. He said, “I do not need a single vote of the illegal migrants.”
An uneasy calm settled over Kokrajhar and Chirang districts of Assam on Friday a day before prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh’s healing visit to Kokrajhar. Four more bodies were recovered in Gossaigaon on Friday taking the death toll to over 60. One more person was killed in police firing at the height of ethnic clash in Dhubri. The curfew in Chirang was relaxed till 4 in the afternoon. The violence has rendered over 2 lakh people homeless in 400 villages.
Police on Thursday got remand of Amarjyoti Kalita when the prime accused in the infamous GS Road molestation case was produced before the Kamrup CJM court. Police sought Kalita in their remand for 5 days which was allowed. But the court slammed police for filing a case in loose sheet calling it an example of serious lapse in a high profile case.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is scheduled to visit Kokrajhar on Saturday in the time of ethnic clash that has so far left 42 people killed. Dr Singh, who happens to be a Rajya Sabha member from Assam, is set to visit the refugee camps during his day long visit to the worst-hit district. The prime minister is likely to visit parts of Chirang district along with Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to take stock of the situation.
Police on Thursday arrested one more miscreant in the infamous GS Road molestation camp. Identified as Rubul Ali, the miscreant was arrested from Baihata chariali in the morning. He was straightly rushed to Guwahati to be grilled by the special investigation team of police. With this police have arrested 15 miscreants involved in the incident including the prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita and TV journalist Gauravjyoti Neog.
BJP on Thursday reiterated its allegations of a nefarious role of Bangladeshi immigrants in the on going ethnic clash that rocks BTAD areas where over 40 people were killed. Talking to reporters in Guwahati, the BJP leader said that the government could have tried to avert it. Goel further alleged insufficient relief materials in the refugee camps set up in Kokrajhar ands Chirang districts.