Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Over 300 youths marched through the streets of Sivasagar town on Wednesday to protest government failure to take action on the army jawan involved in the recent molestation in Demow. Baring their pants, the young protesters representing 22 organizations marched through the streets of the town. Later they held a meeting outside the Deputy Commissioner's office. They were joined by hundreds of bystanders. Then they were stopped from entering the DC's office premises by police personnel who set up barricades. The organizations include ATASU, TMPK, AASU, AJYCP, KMSS) and Brihattar Asomiya Parishad. They said that they would continue the agitation programme till all till the demands are met.
The CPI(M) has accused Dispur of a huge failure in firmly dealing with the situation to stop escalating violence in Assam. It asked the government to take immediate steps to restore law and order. In a statement, the called the failure a monumental one of the Congress-led Government.
Delhi on Wednesday directed Dispur to nab the ring leaders involved in ethnic clash in BTAD areas. Further, it ruled out a Bangladeshi hand in the entire episode where 42 people lost their lives. According to Union Home Secretary R K Singh, 2,000 central security personnel have been deputed to guard Guwahati-bound trains and railway tracks which were disrupted.Singh said that the international border is sealed and that it was impossible for any intruders to foment trouble from across the border. Around 2,500 paramilitary personnel have reached Assam to assist the local administration.
In a bid to bring the situation under control in Kokrajahr, Chirang and Dhubri, the Centre is all prepared to talk to the leaders of the both warring factions. According t sources, two senior home ministry officials are all set to hold talks with the Bodo leaders and minority leaders on Wednesday or Thursday in Dhubri and Kokrajhar. Around 1,500 more paramilitary personnel have been rushed in with orders to shoot at sight.
Around 1,50,000 people fled their homes at the height of the group clash after it erupted on Friday last. The displaced people, mostly, have taken shelter in government schools and buildings. Over 10,000 people in these trouble torn districts have escaped to neighbouring West Bengal. Trucks carrying essential supplies are remaining stranded halfway. In Guwahati, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi held a meeting of government officials, including the chief secretary, to monitor the situation.
In the continuing orgy of violence, 6 more people were killed taking the death toll to 41 in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts on Wednesday. Kokrajhar district administration has relaxed curfew from 8 in the morning to 12 noon. But only to be reimposed indefinitely. Curfew has also been extended indefinitely in Chirang and Dhubri districts.With 13,000 troops, army staged flag march in Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Bongaigaon district in presence of a magistrate.
An all party delegation of the Assam legislative assembly is on a stock taking visit to Kokrajhar on Wednesday.Indefinite curfew is still in force in some parts of Dhubri and Chirang. Army and Para military forces have intensified patrolling in the violence hit districts. Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh had earlier said that he has been in continuous touch with the Chief Secretary and the Assam Director General of Police.
The orgy of violence ravaging three districts of lower Assam spreads to the Bengal border. Thousands of people from scores of villages are fleeing to safer places in West Bengal during the last couple of days. Around 1,500 more paramilitary personnel have been deployed in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts with shoot at sight orders. More than 1 lakh people have been displaced. These displaced people, mostly, shifted to 55 relief camps. The Army staged a flag march on Wednesday morning in Dhubri, Kokrajhar, Chirang and Bongaigaon, the first since violence began four days ago.
The Army on Wednesday began flag marches in a bid to ring the situation under control. Moreover, night curfew are still in force three days after it was clamped to control the situation. Tensions between Bodos and Muslims over control of land and settlements have been simmering for a long time. The violence has spread to 400 villages in the Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts.
Violence spreads diabolic tentacles in five lower Assam districts killing at least 38 besides displacing around 1 lakh people till Wednesday. Four more people were killed in two incidents of shoot outs in Chirang district taking up the death toll to 40. There are reports of fresh incidents in both the districts where hundreds of abandoned houses were burnt down in scores of villages in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts. It was learnt that Meghalaya governor RS Mushahary’s native village was also not spared.