Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Imphal: Assam Rifles has been directed by the Gauhati High Court to pay Rs 3.5 Lakhs as compensation to the family of Athkokpam Purnima Singh who died in police custody in September 2001. The petition was moved by Bandana Devi, wife of Athkokpam Purnima Singh. Assam Police has been directed by the Imphal Bench of the High Court to pay the amount in three months.
Guwahati: There are 32 Foreigners’ Tribunals in the State and they have managed to detect only 54 illegal Bangladeshis nationals while disposing of 545 cases in the past five months. And all the infiltrators are not traceable now. In a tripartite talk, between AASU, the State Government and the Central Government, the State officials have conveyed this to AASU. “This speaks volumes about the sincerity and commitment of the Central & the State Government in dealing with Bangladeshi influx that has changed the State’s demography, endangering the very existence of the indigenous people. We are having a farce in the name of Bangladeshi deportation,” conveyed AASU leaders...
Guwahati : Assam police confirms the death of Phul Chand Ram alongwith two militants at a cross fire between ULFA and police that rocked Changsari near Guwahati on the wee hours of Thursday much to embarrassment of the Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who assured the family of needful action to crack the impasse. Senior police officials say the kidnapped FCI official died following a heavy exchange of firing between ULFA militants and a police team led by western range deputy inspector general of police G P Singh which had to take support of Army while the raid was conducted at the house of Govind Deka of Changsari in Kamrup district. They say acting on secret information that a group of ULFA...
Guwahati : Army Personel alongwith the Assam Police have apprehended two people including the president of the Darrang district of MASS, and recovered five kgs of RDX, five PTD switches and eight grenades from the Baihata Chariali area in Rangiya on Wednesday evening. According to information, MASS General Secretary of Darrang unit Shyamal Sarma and Bipul Deka, a contractor of Mangaldai, were on the way to Guwahati on a Tata Sumo when they were apprehended. Interrogation is going on at Jalukbari police station
Guwahati : A fierce fighting between ULFA and security forces near the city on the wee hours on Thursday left two ultras and the kidnapped FCI officer P C Ram dead.Reliable sources here say acting on secret inputs that a group of dreaded ULFA leaders were halting at Burka near Changsari with the kidnapped FCI executive director, the police aided by the Army, raided the house of Govinda Deka of Panitema gaon at around 8-30 evening on Wednesday.The heavy exchange of firing that rocked the entire area continued till 2.00 am on Thursday.Post that the police have recovered two bullet riddled bodies of ULFA leaders alongwith a person who was around 52/55 years from inside the house.The ultras...
Assam Sahitya Sabha’s Chief Secretary, Dr. Pradip Bhuyan was recently Honoured by the Dergaon Sahitya Sabha Committee at their office- Chandra Nath Khound Bhawan on 8th July, 2007. The meeting was presided over by Dergaon Sahitya Sabha’s Vice President Mr. Manik Chandra Doley. Those present in the occasion included Secretary Sanjay Hazarika, Golaghat Sahitya Sabha’s ex-secretary Mrs. Tulika Devi, district representative Munnin Ch. Baruah and many other famous personalities of Dergaon. Mr. Chandra accepted to be present at the occasion and felicitate Dr. Bhuyan. He was also honoured by the Batiporiya Sahitya Sabha on the same day.
The old and famous Civil Hospital of Jorhat “JONONAYAK DEBESWAR SARMA AOSAMORIK CHIKITCHALAY” is on its way to establish a new record. According to an inter-country survey by the Health department of the Central Government, Jorhat Civil Hospital has recorded the highest number of Birth-Rates in entire India. C.O.R.T, a branch of the Central Government has provided statistics to prove these facts. According to the survey, in the year 2005-06, the number of home born babies was 6775, at dispensaries 1943 and at Hospitals 5164. That meant that the total number of babies born in the Hospital was only 7107. But in the year 2006-07, number of home born babies reduced to 5561 and the...
A 17-month-old toddler in Assam happily devours the locally available scorching Bhut Jolokia, recognized by the Guinness World Records as the hottest chilli on earth. The parents of Jayanta Lahan of Romai village in Dibrugarh say the child gleefully munches a handful of Bhut Jolokia, the world's hottest chilli, without batting an eyelid. 'Yesterday (Monday), he ate some 50 Bhut Jolokias in about three to four hours without showing any signs of tears or burning sensation in his stomach,' the child's father Ritul| The child, nicknamed Johnny, became hooked onto chillies when he was just about eight-months-old.
The All Assam Students Union (AASU) has withdrawn from the economic blockade of Nagaland that they had taken up jointly with the AJYCP, the All Adivasi Students Union and the Gorkha Association. AASU Adviser Dr Sammujal Bhattacharya and President Sankar Prasad Rai have communicated at a press conference that they have decided to withdraw from the blockade based on humanitarian ground as this was affecting the common people of Nagaland. It is learnt that the North East Students Union (NSO) and the Naga Students Federation (NSF) had also requested AASU to withdraw from the strike Meanwhile the other organisations are continuing with the strike and have intimated that they are unclear on what...
Tinsukia: There were reports of gunfire along the Assam Arunachal Border in the Sadiya Shantipur area and around 10 people have been injured. The trouble started following a case of physical assault of a local citizen by miscreants of the neighbouring state. The local residents in the Assam side had blocked the surface communication route routinely used by the neighbouring hill tribals while travelling through Assam. The situation is reported to be under control and the injured have been shifted for medical attention.