Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

A 12 hour statewide Assam bandh is disrupting normal life on Tuesday. Barring police army and vehicles, the streets are wearing a deserted look. Shops and other business establishments are also closing. The schools in the morning are also remaining closed. The proscribed United Liberation Front of Asom is calling the statewide Assam bandh demanding immediate release of PCG member and human rights activist Lachit Bordoloi and demanding killing of innocent youths in the name of encounter.
The Centre is all set to start oil exploration in the Brahmaputra river basin saying it could boost oil production. Addressing the golden jubilee function of Oil India Limited (OIL) here on Monday, DONER Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar said the basin has huge potential of oil reserve which had to be exploited. He said the exploration work will start as soon as the required environmental clearance was received. According to Aiyar, oil exploration work would also start in Tirap and Changland districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
The Guwahati based journalist and a regular contributor to 'Assam Times', Nava Thakuria has been awarded with the first media fellowship on refugee issues sponsored by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Centre for North East Studies and Policy Research (C-NES). The Fellowship with the theme, 'The Chins of Myanmar: Refugee Life in a Distant Neighbour', with a focus on Protection and Durable Solutions for the Chin ethnic group from Western Myanmar, which lives in challenging conditions in the Northeast as well as in New Delhi starts from 1 March to 31 May.The announcement was made by a Committee comprising Mr. Sanjoy Hazarika, C-NES Managing Trustee, journalist...
With much fanfare and cultural extravaganza, the colourful Karbi Youth festival is going on atop the Karbi hills. The colourful cultural event of the Karbi youths was inaugurated by Assam Governor Lt general (retd) Ajoy Singh on Saturday. The event marked its beginning with a glowing tribute to the Karbi culture legend Rangsina Sarpo. In his address, the Governor said he was really mesmerized by the Karbi songs and dance adding that has turned 75 but never did he enjoy these cultural festival. In his address, veteran Karbi political leader Dr Jayanta Rongpi said only autonomous state could restore permanent peace and prosperity in the hills district.
Assam BJP leadership has come in for sharp criticism following the party’s poor performance in the recent panchayat polls. Several leaders within the party have openly criticized the state unit president Ramen Deka saying he failed to reach the grass root level. With this it has become clear that dissidence against Ramen Daka is resurfacing within the party. The recent panchayat polls have painted a dismal picture for the party where only 1600 have been elected out of more than 8000 candidates the party fielded across the state. It was quite deplorable compared to the performance in 2001.
The Assam BJP has demanded a specific set of policy from the Government on conversion saying it is mother of all social tension in the state. Addressing a press conference on Sunday in the city, state BJP president Ramen Deka said conversion has been the main reason behind the simmering social tensions in Assam. Saying it inadmissible, Mr Deka added that conversion is still going on in Assam adding that a clear cut policy should have to be there to regulate these. He further said infiltration has already disturbed the state’s demography and it will be more harmful if conversion continues.
The Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad has staged a statewide silent protest on Saturday demanding immediate release of PCG member Lachit Bordoloi, stopping police harassment on lawyer Nekibur The AJYCP activists in Guwahati staged the silent protest with black clothes in their faces demanding an end to the autocratic rule of the Tarun Gogoi government. The agitating student leaders said the arrest of PCG member Lachit Bordoloi is nothing but a bid desperate bid to foil the peace process. They further threaten to intensify the agitation if the government fails to ignore these demands.
A microlite glider of the Indian Air Force nose landed in a tea estate near the IAF eastern aircommand base at Chabua in Dibrugarh district on Saturday at around 10-30. The pilot sustained minor injury in his hand while co-pilot escaped unhurt. The two-seater glider also did not suffer much damage,. The glider developed a technical snag, two minutes after taking off from Chabua.
United People's Front, Manipur Organized a Mega Marathon 2008 in Manipur with theme 'Run for your Nation' on 17-02-08 from Khuman Lampak Main Stadium. This is second time which is biggest ever in Manipur. Pix by UB Photos.
Four hardcrore ULFA cadres were killed in Sonari during a joint operation by Army and Sivasagar police on late Friday night. According to information, Army’s 316 Field regiment jawans and the Sivasagar police conducted a massive raid in Naphuk Naharani gaon under Sonari police station and found out these ULFA cadres in a house. These four cadres died on the spot during the operation while the police suspected that two or three more cadres have escaped the operation. Two of these militants have been identified to be Phatik Handique and Ranju Hazarika. The others have yet to be identified. The police have recovered a AK-47 rifle, 4 grenades, one 9mm pistol some ammunitions and mobile...