Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

All Assam Minority Students Union (AMSU), Barpeta district committee regretted the role of Chief minister Tarun Gogoi for handing over Assam’s land to Bangladesh. Barpeta district AAMSU in co-rodination with Kayakuchi Anchalik sammittee burnt the effigy of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh shouting slogans against PM and CM against and the government
Thieves broke the entrance door on September 18 of the Jania Sattra and taken away gold and silver ornaments, cash and destroyed the alter of the naamghar. Jania satra was established by the grandson of Mahapyrysh Srimanta Sankardev, Purushottam Das. In 1986 and in 2000 the thieves taken away some of the valuable materials from the satra along with the ornaments. No one could apprehend till date by the police till now.
The 54th Birthday of Paresh Baishya was celebrated as EDU JOURNALISM DAY on September 15 at 3p.m at Gauhati Press Club under the banner of Paresh Baishya Foundation in collaborration with Saraighat Journalist Forum. The programme was presided over by Dr.Gunaram Khanikor,herbal expert of Assam. Former head of the department of Physics,Gauhati University Dr.Mahindranath Bora attended the function as chief guest while Thaneshwar Malakar,D.C Udalguri and Dr.Dayananda Pathak attended the function as guest of honour. Narul Islam Saikia,Prof. of Cotton College delivered a lecture on 'Globalization...
The Opposition Asom Gana Parishad is all set to rush a delegation to the President seeking her intervention in the recent land swap deal with Bangladesh. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati on Friday, party spokesman Hitendra Nath Goswami said the party will hold a protest rally in Dispur on September 30. He said this would gherao the Sansad Bhawan in protest against the deal to swap land with the neighbouring country. He further criticized Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for his support in this dangerous deal with Bangladesh.
Major opposition parties on Friday urged Governor J B Patnaik to convene a special Assam Assembly session to discuss the land swap deal with Bangladesh. A delegation of AGP, BJP and AIUDF submitted a memorandum to the governor highlighting the anomalies in the agreement struck in Dhaka recently.They alleged that both Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi signed the pact without consulting the political parties, civil society and people of the state on the issue. The 18 member delegation comprised AGP President Chandramohan Patowary, senior AGP leader and former Chief Minister Prafulla Mahanta, BJP National Vice President and MP Bijoya Chakraborty and AIDUF leader...
ULFA’s Paresh Barua faction on Wednesday came out in strong defence of the anti-big dam stir. In an email statement to media, the outfit’s publicity wing manager Aronodoy Dohotia extended full support to the stir against big dams in Assam spearheaded by AASU and the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti According to Dohotia, a section of political parties and organizations is trying to exploit the situation. He named Congress leaders who had contested from Dhemaji and Lakhimpur, the two districts affected by the construction of the Lower Subansiri Hydel Project, had raised their voice against big dams during the Assembly elections in April but after coming back to power, they are...
One person was killed and ten others have been injured when they were struck by thunderbolt in Assam. The incident took place in Barpeta district on Wednesday. The deceased was identified as Majnur Hussain and ten others injured when they were struck by thunderbolt at Kujharpita under Barpeta police station. All they were travelling in a jute loaded vehicle when the incident happened. The injured people are undergoing treatment at the Howly Civil Hospital.
The land swap deal continues to face flak in Assam. The last one to join the cry is the All Assam Gorkha Students’ Union. Addressing a function in Guwahati, the students body publicity secretary Kirti Dewan sharply criticized the government for the Indo-Bangla land swap deal where Assam lost 288 lakh sq ft land to Bangladesh. Criticizing chef minister Tarun Gogoi, Dewan said that thousands of indegenous Assamese people are being left homeless because of flood and erosion in Dhemaji and Lakhimpur districts of Assam. In this back drop he questioned the deal struck in Bangladesh.
A lower court in Guwahati on Wednesday granted bail to former Congress MP Mani Kumar Subba in connection with a rape case registered against him. The bail was granted when the court was hearing a bail petition he moved in the court recently. Chandmari police station registered the case on the basis of the complaint lodged by a lady Sikha Sarma who alleged that the Congress leader repeatedly raped her.
Its some sort of respite for Mahendra Das. He need not go to the gallows till November 1. The respite comes from the Gauhati High Court on Wednesday which was hearing a petition moved by his mother alleging violation of human rights when the president Pratibha Patil delayed in clearing the decks for Mahendra’s executive order.