Guwahati: In yet another ‘handiwork,’ ULFA explodes a powerful bomb in the busy Machkhowa areas on Saturday morning at around 7-30 which left four people dead and more than twenty injured.
The blast that rocks again in the time of the grand Ambubachi mela atop Kamakhya and Asian Athletic Grand Prix at Sarusajai, took place in front of a mosque. All those four were killed on the spot.
The bomb was placed beside a small tea stall at the daily fruit and vegetable market. Most of the vendors and visitors were not present in the morning when the bomb exploded.
The injured people have been admitted to the nearby hospital for treatment by the people who rushed to the spot hearing the huge sound the blast made. The conditions of four of these people are critical.
Immediately after the incident, police and top ranked police and civil officials including the Deputy Commissioner Abinash Joshi arrived in the spot and started investigation. Later talking to the reporters on the spot, Mr Joshi says the blast is a handiwork of ULFA.
Meanwhile, the city police beefs up security arrangement in view of the grand fair and festival at the Kahakhya temple and also to ensure security to the athletes across the Asian countries in view of the 16th Asian Grand Prix. The event is inaugurated on Saturday by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
Panic spreads among those who gatecrash the Kamakhya temple premises to participate in the on going Ambubashi fair. These people have arrived in the fair spot from the last week.
PermalinkSubmitted by A. R. on Sat, 23/06/2007 - 15:07
The explosion took place at Machkhowa and that too in front of a mosque at 5.30 A.M. and not at 7.30 A.M. The time 5.30 A.M. of Muslim Fajar Salah( morning prayer )
Immediately after the incident, police and top ranked police and civil officials including the Deputy Commissioner Abinash Joshi arrived in the spot and started investigation. Later talking to the reporters on the spot, Mr Joshi says the blast is a handiwork of ULFA.
How can A. Joshi imediately blame ULFA without proper investigation.
This is second blast in Muslim area within weeks.
The last week was - The explosion took place at a predominantly Muslim area in village Gulutuk in Kamrup district, 50 km from Guwahati.
The Guluktuk blast - "The blast was carried out at the behest of the RSS and was executed by the organisation's youth wing with Abhijit Sarma as the kingpin," ULFA spokesman Raju Baruah said in a statement received by IANS. "Sarma is a member of RSS's youth wing," the statement said. How can a place which is 100% Muslim - a bomb blast ? This is the main question which the local people's should think.
There seems to be no end of anomalies in the HSLC and AHM examinations this year.
In yet another incident to make SEBA officials to hang their heads in shame, wanton cows destroyed hundreds of answerscripts inside a strong room in Golapara on Friday.
The incident took place at the Goalpara Govt HS School on Friday morning when examiners spotted a heard of wanton cows destroying many answer scripts inside the strong room.
According to information, the caretaker of the of centre left the strong room without properly shutting the door which is why, the cows managed to storm into the room. Investigation is going on.
Assam remains alert in view of the ULFA 'Raising Day' on Saturday.
Security forces have been deployed to thwart any attempt by ULFA in the vulnerable areas of Tinsukia, Sibsagar, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Dhubri, Goalpara and Nalbari districts.
According to inputs available Commander in Chief Paresh Baruah has dispatched his wife Rinku Bhuyan and hardcore ULFA cadre Rajiv Das to carry out strike in Lakhimpur district.
Security forces have arrested a hardcore ULFA cadre from Kokrajhar district on Friday. Acting on a tip off, security men caught him from Fakiragram market area in the wee hours.
The ULFA cadre has been identified as Biju Roy and they also recovered one 9mm pistol, three rounds of ammunition and one mobile from his possession.
Police seized a hand made gun and 14 rounds of live ammunition from a residence in the Gohpur area of Sonitpur district on Friday.
The gun and live ammunition belong to the owner of the house, identified as one Lakhya Pegu, police said adding that Pegu was absconding.
In yet another development Aditya Baruah has safely arrived in his home ending a high voltage drama. He was missing since NIA raided his rented room in New Delhi in search of ULFA leader Aronodoi Dohotia.
Eight labourers are still remaining traceless even 24 hours after they were kidnapped from a construction site by KPLT militants in Karbi Anglong district.
Security forces are launching combing operation to trace out the workers. But there is no report of any breakthrough.
A group of about four heavily armed militants stormed into a hospital building at Rongbong Ghat on Thursday night and took away eight of them at gunpoint.
Heartcare at affordable cost! courtesy Ayursundra. The Guwahati-based healthcare provider group is set to spread the concept of specialised heart care units in hospitals across the state.
This will provide the latest treatment at affordable price. The model is based on the concept of 'Hospital Within a Hospital' and consists of having a Cath Lab, an ICU, monitoring system and other associated machines for dealing with emergencies as well as comprehesive treatment of heart ailments.
One person died on the spot and 31 others were injured, six of them seriously, in a road mishap in Barpeta district on Friday.
The driver of a passenger bus travelling from Barpeta to Barpeta Road lost control and overturned on the National Highway 31. While a passenger, Kamal Barma, died on the spot, 31 others were injured. Six of the seriously injured passengers were shifted to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital here.
Veteran CPI leader Pramod Gogoi is dead. He passed away at a private hospital in Guwahati where he was admitted two days back. The end came at around 10-30 in the morning.
Gogoi was born and brought up in Sivasagar. A bachelor Gogoi was elected to state legislative assembly from Sivasagar constituency for several time. More, he was flood control minister in the AGP led coalition government under the chief ministership of Prafulla Kumar Mahanta.
Political leaders across the state have condoled his untimely demise and conveyed their deep sympathies to his bereaved family members.
Three suspected GNLA militants were killed at an encounter with security forces in Golapara on Thursday.
The encounter took place in the wee hours at Mendipothar bordering Meghalaya where the armed GNLA cadres were moving despite alertness of security forces in the area. The cadres were yet to be identified. The Garo insurgent cadres have been unleashing terror in Mendipothar in the form of extortion, killing and kidnapping forcing the security forces to launch the operation.
The Centre sounds alert in Assam and its neighbouring states in view of ULFA Raising Day slated for April 8.
Dispur received the Home Ministry advisory on Wednesday with directives to tighten security across the region.
The Home Ministry asked the Assam government and the neighbouring states to be on alert in the run-up to the ULFA raising day on April 7 when the group usually tries to launch terror attacks.
The Centre advised the states to deploy adequate security personnel at sensitive locations, oil installations, railway tracks and stations, bus terminus, markets and religious places to foil any attempt by the insurgents to disturb peace.
Comments
Pages
Add new comment