Skip to content Skip to navigation

India Leads the City Nature Challenge with 206 Cities Participating

New Delhi: India has emerged as the largest participant in the 9th annual City Nature Challenge (CNC), with 206 Indian cities among the 675 global participants. This collaborative citizen science event, running from April 26 to 29, is organized in India by WWF-India to encourage people to document and share images of wild plants, animals, and fungi using the iNaturalist app.

WWF-India is spearheading this initiative across several states, including Assam, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, and New Delhi. Neha Raghav, Director of Environment Education at WWF-India, highlighted CNC's importance, saying, "CNC is a great opportunity to engage people of all ages in citizen science."

In Assam, the event kicked off on Earth Day with youth from various colleges and universities conducting BioBlitzes. Participating institutions include Gauhati University and Cotton University. Archita Baruah Bhattacharyya, State Coordinator for WWF-India in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh, noted that CNC 2024 has expanded to include the entire North East, with two main cities—Guwahati and Digboi—leading the effort.

Globally, the CNC has seen rapid growth, with the number of participating cities increasing from 450 in 2023 to over 675 in 2024. Last year, CNC saw over 66,000 participants and nearly 1.87 million observations, with Hyderabad emerging as the top Indian city.

To participate in CNC, individuals can find wildlife, take pictures or sound recordings, and upload them to iNaturalist. This collaborative effort not only contributes to scientific research but also raises awareness about biodiversity conservation. For more information on participating cities and how to join, visit CNC India Website.

Comments

LAKHINANDAN DUTTA's picture

Cnc is helping to save wildlife in city areas
LAKHINANDAN DUTTA's picture

Cnc helping to save wildlife in city areas.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Tension is escalating in Krishna in Goalpara district area after three hardcore UALA militants were killed in mob attack on Tuesday.The bizarre incident took place in the wee hours along the Assam-Meghalaya interstate border where local residents overpowered the trio on their way to extort money from the area in the wee hours.Security forces arrived in the spot. But by the militants were killed.   
Gauhati High Court on Tuesday deferred hearing of Akhil Gogoi’s bail plea to March 14.The court deferred the hearing on Tuesday after the KMSS president’s lawyer sought more time to represent him in the court.Gogoi along with 5 of his associates were arrested on March 1 in connection with the Pranab Boro self immolation case. After five days in police custody, the KMSS leader want remanded to judicial custody. Then Gogoi’s counselor moved a bail petition before the Gauhati High Court.     
BJP candidate for Guwahati Bijoya Chakrabarty began per poll campaign hitting out strongly at Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday.Landing in Guwahati, the sitting MP called chief minister a failure. He said that Gogoi has hardly any ground.Her supporters in large number greeted her immediately after she landed at the Lokpriya Gopianth Bordoloi International Airport.An visible encouraged Chakrabarty said that she would contest with confidence.
Congress leader Bolin Bordoloi is likely to join BJP in a day or two. If he joins, the party is likely to consider ticket for him in Koliabor.Sources told Assam Times that Bordoloi is in touch with BJP leader Bijoya Chakrabarty who is coming to meet him on Wednesday.Notably, the son of the first Assam chief minister was a strong contender from Guwahati. But his name did not figure after the party held an internal election.
Congress leader Dr Pervez Ahmed is likely to join AIUDF to be fielded in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.This was what AIUDF sources told Assam Times on Tuesday. AIUDF is actively considering ticket to him in Koliabor in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.The son of former President Fakaruddin Ali Ahmed met AIUDF president Badaruddin Ajmal at the party headquarters in Guwahati on Tuesday.He alleged that despite assurance of ticket to contest the polls on several occasions, the chief minister finally failed to keep his promise.He further said that Gaurav Gogoi has no skill in politics and that he got ticket only because of the chief minister’s son.
Dispur police have registered a case against Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and revenue minister Prithivi Majhi on the basis of the complaint lodged by Purnima Bora whose husband died after self immolation attempt.Police registered the case hours after the Kamrup Chief judicial magistrate passed the directive.The court further asked senior superintendent of police AP Tiwary to take action against the police official who have been remaining idle even after Boro lodged the complaint on February 24.Notably, Dispur police have been avoiding the complaint citing a number of flaws in the statement of Boro against Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and revenue minister Prithivi Majhi. 
In another bizarre incident that sends shockwaves in IIY, Guwahati, a student committed suicide on Tuesday.The incident took place at Dibang Hostel where M Tech second semester student Syed Shabis Ahmed committed suicide by hanging inside his room.His body was spotted at 7-30 in the morning when hostel staff did not get any response from him as his examination begins on Tuesday.His body was sent for post mortem and the family members in Kolkata have been informed by the authorities.  
A high level Election Commission delegation is arriving in Guwahati on Tuesday to take stock of the Lok Sabha poll preparedness.After landing in the city at 6-30 in the evening, the delegation led by Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, will convene a meeting of the top ranked civil and police officials along with the state election commission officials.On Wednesday morning, the delegation will meet the representatives of the political parties in Dispur.After the stock-taking meet, they will interact with the media person on Wednesday.      Sources told Assam Times that the commission is likely to reconsider the date for second phase of polls in the state.Notably...
In a stepped up action against encroachers, Karbi Anglong police on Monday have arrested 37 people from Nagaland n encroachment charges.They were arrested after they allegedly entered Doldoli Reserve forest under Dhansiri police station with a bid to settle there along the Assam-Nagaland border. The encroachers allegedly set ablaze a thatched house before the police rushed to the area and took 37 of them into custody and seized the vehicle.
AGP has finalized the list of candidates for 11 seats. Party insiders told Assam Times that the list would be formally available on March 14.According to sources, Birendra Prasad Biashya will contest from Guwahati while Dr Arun Sarma would be fielded in Kaliabor.Anup Phukan will contest from Dibrugarh and Hari Prasad Dihingia will get party ticket to contest from Lakhimpur.Pradeep Hazarika will contest from Jorhat while Nurul Hussain will be fielded in Dhubri. Aloka Desai Sarma would get ticket to contest from Mangoldoi while Barpeta will go to Phani Bhushan Chaudhury.Brindabon Goswami is ready to be fielded in Tezpur while the party has yet to finalise the names for three seats.  ...