Skip to content Skip to navigation

Activists decry India's deferment of pictorial health warnings on tobacco products

Civil society in India has strongly condemned the recent decision of the Group of Ministers (GOM) in India to defer the implementation of pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages which was to come in to effect from November 30, 2008. The pictorial warnings have been deferred, again, till at least end of May 2009.

This decision of GOM is very unfortunate and has appalled the public health community across the country, said members of Advocacy Forum for Tobacco Control (AFTC). By repeatedly postponing the implementation of pack warnings on tobacco packages, the government is failing from performing its important duty to provide essential information to make Indian consumers aware of the effects of tobacco, particularly to the vulnerable poor and the illiterate, further said AFTC members.

“The decision to defer and unduly delay the mandatory placement of pictorial health warnings on tobacco products is a cynical abdication of governmental responsibility to protect people’s health by providing them much required information on the deadly effects of tobacco consumption” said Dr K Srinath Reddy, President, Public Health Foundation of India.

“The government should set up strong and transparent mechanisms at the highest levels to prevent industry interference in the implementation of tobacco control measures and policy making processes. Since the tobacco industry sells a product that kills one million people in India annually, therefore, industry’s interests will always be in conflict with the nation’s public health and economic aspirations” remarked Bhavna B Mukhopadhyay, Senior Director, Voluntary Health Association of India (VHAI).

Article 11 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) imposes a time bound obligation on each of its signatory parties, of which India is also a part, to implement pictorial health warnings on tobacco product packages within 3 years of its coming into force. The deadline for India to implement pictorial health warning was 27 February 2008. It’s a national shame that India, once considered a global leader in tobacco control has repeatedly failed to enforce this provision of pictorial health warnings. Countries across the world (who are party to FCTC) have unanimously adopted international standards for implementing the international tobacco control treaty that mandates health warning labels that cover 50 percent or more, and no less than 30 percent, of tobacco packaging and feature effective pictures of health conditions caused by tobacco.

“The news of postponement of implementation of pictorial warnings was most unfortunate. Especially because it came within a day of unanimous adaptation of guidelines for article 11 of FCTC dealing with the packaging and labeling of tobacco products by the Conference of Parties of 160 governments meeting in Durban, South Africa on November 22, 2008. The Government of India was present in that meeting and the decision was applauded by the entire global community” noted Luther Terry Awardee Dr PC Gupta, Director, Healis Sekhsaria Institute for Public Health.

The decision to defer the implementation of already diluted, delayed and long overdue pictorial health warnings on tobacco packages is nothing but retraction of India’s commitment to FCTC. By deferring the implementation of graphic warnings, the international position of India will be pushed much below from the 34th position that was accorded to India in the recent international status report adopted by Canadian Cancer Society to a much lower ranking.

"It is high time that national tobacco control policies in India are congruent to what India is obligated to do by ratifying the international global tobacco treaty - Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Last week in the global meeting, India adopted the strong guidelines for Article 5.3, to protect health policies from tobacco industry interference” remarked Bobby Ramakant, from the Indian Society Against Smoking, Asha Parivar, who also represents Network for Accountability of Tobacco Transnationals (NATT).

Civil society organizations strongly urges to the Indian government to implement the graphic warnings without further delay. The government must act now to protect Indian citizens, especially the vulnerable children and illiterates from serious health hazards caused due to tobacco consumption.

- Shobha Shukla

The author teaches Physics at India's Loreto Convent and has been writing extensively in English and Hindi media. She serves as Editor of Citizen News Service (CNS). Email: shobha@citizen-news.org, website: www.citizen-news.org

Comments

Dr Jayakrishnan.T's picture

Very good. I am a faculty in medical college. My article on this issue will be published in ijme -April issue.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Guwahati : Unidentified militants abducted Mr. Anirudha Tanti from Hirajuli Tea Estate last night. Anirudha is the son of Ex MLA and senior congress leader Bhimananda Tanti. He is an Assistant Manager of the Tea Estate. Anirudha was on the way to his official quarter, when he was abducted. Family member filed an FIR about his abduction this evening. Tanti is also the Vice President of Assam Chah Majdoor Sangha. Police are yet to confirm who is behind this kidnapping. Anirudha is about 35 years old.
Guwahati: All people forcefully chucked out from Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh are Indian citizens according to the Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi. " I want to make it very clear that government have verified their cases and it has been found that they are all India citizens"- He said in a press conference held at the Secretariat conference hall. He also informed that Government would publish a list of names of those persons along with their address so that people can know whether they are Indian citizens or foreigners. He also reiterated that the Government will not allow making Assam a dumping ground of foreigners. Government had also decided to constitute committees consisting...
Guwahati: Nearly half a crore/five million people were displaced in devastating flood in Assam. According to 2001 census, the total population of Assam is 2, 66, 38, 407 and floods have displaced about one fifth of the total population. Total 24 districts out of 27 have been hit by outpouring and 3967 villages ravaged, says the Assam Government in an official communiqué. Number of total displaced up to Tuesday morning was 44, 19, 792 but as heavy rain continues the number of people affected are going up rapidly. Though government claims only 15 lives were lost during second spate of flood starting sicne12 July, local news paper published from Guwahati claimed it to be 29 quoting...
Lakhimpur: The flood situation in the North Bank of Assam mainly the Dhemaji district has turned critical once again. Flash Floods in Ronganodi breached a vital dyke in four places of Lahimpur cutting off parts of Lakhimpur district and Dhemaji from the rest of Assam. The temporary Bailey bridge constructed by the Army for connecting Dhemaji has also been damaged once again by floods. Reports have just come in on Friday morning that four more embankments have been washed. The silver lining is that no causalities have been reported so far and there is no shortage of essential commodities as well.Meanwhile the Brahmaputra is reported to be rising in various parts of the State.Puthimari river...
Guwahati: Ceasefire with National Socialist Council of Nagaland has been extended for an indefinite period. A meeting was held at Circuit House, Dimapur, the commercial hub of Nagaland on Tuesday between the representative of NSCN (IM) and Govt. of India where it was decided to extend the ceasefire indefinitely. While NSCN President Isaac Chichi Swu and General secretary Th. Muivah led the hostile side, Union Labor Minister Oscar Fernandez and interlocutor K Padmanavaiah represented the Govt. of India. Intelligence Bureau Chief Ajit Lal and Secretary of Ministry of Home Affairs Naveen Verma were among others in the delegation that assisted the minister. NSCN is a pioneer militant...
New Delhi: Networking major Cisco Systems has launched two new certificate courses (of 280 hours duration each) under the Cisco Networking Academy brand, primarily targeting entry-level jobseekers. Part of the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) programme, the two courses CCNA Discovery and CCNA Exploration will focus on applied skills and technical depth respectively. Ms Sandy Walsh, Regional Manager, Education Programmes and Corporate Responsibility, Cisco - Asia Pacific said that Cisco wanted to “increase the talent pool of candidates with networking skills”. According to an IDC report, India is expected to have a shortage of over 86,300 networking professionals this...
Barpeta: Tragic stories have started pouring in from various parts of the State as floods in Assam continue unabated for the umpteenth day today. An elder lady, Sukhla Boro of Pathsala Balapar village of Barpeta who died due to cardiac arrest was flooded into the Brahmaputra river by her hapless relatives as there was no place to cremate her due to floods and water all around.
Dibrugarh: Dibrugarh Police have recovered a large amount of explosives from Namrup Twenty Four kg TNT explosives were recovered on Sunday night and four people including a woman have been arrested.Police suspect that the explosives were dumped to set off a series of explosions on Independence Day on 15th of August.It may be mentioned that TNT is a very powerful explosive and only 400 grams is sufficient to destroy an aircraft.
Guwahati : The All Assam Students Union( AASU) and the All Minority Students Union(AMSU) are exchanged in a bitter war of words.In a press conference at Guwahati on Saturday, The AMSU Organising Secretary Ajijul Hussain Khondakar, chief organizing secretary of AAMSU had criticised the AASU Adviser, Sammujal Bhattacharya as a Congress stooge and also warned of a backlash against the Asomiya community in the minority dominated districts of Dhubri and Goalpara.AASU central leaders as well as the Anchalik Units have come down strongly against these statements and they have issued strong warning to the AAMSU to abstain from such dangerous statements. AGP and BJP have strongly criticised the AMSU...
New Delhi: Cotton College may soon become a deemed university. This was informed by the Cotton College General Secretary, Samiran Baishya.A delegation of the Cotton College Students Union had recently visited New Delhi and met the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. The Prime Minister has assured them that he would personally look into the matter and recommend the case to the University Grants Commission (UGC).Cotton College is the oldest Institution in Northeast India. It was established in 1901. The demand to make Cotton College a deemed university has been in existence from 1980.Leading academicians have welcomed the move