In yet another landmark development in the Manipur’s poll political landscape, Irom Sharmila on Tuesday announced to end her fast to fight the upcoming assembly polls.
Talking to reporters at the Imphal Court premises, she said that she is waiting for August 9 to break her 15 year long fast.
She observed that during her 15 year long she got no response from the people in power and that there is hardly any hope a positive response in near future.
She said that she has no option but to politically fight the draconian Act that empowers the armed forces to unleash reign of terror on the common people.
The decision is bound to have a huge impact on the state’s political scenario in the north eastern state hardly a year ahead of the assembly polls.
She started the fast unto death in November 2000 in protest against the Malom incident near Imphal airport.
Since then she has been declining food and drink demanding the real of the Act. During this period she has been arrested and rearrested. A couple of years back, the government has been nose-feeding her and spnt over Rs 80,000 for her security, medication and nose feeding.
PermalinkSubmitted by Kamal Rajpal on Thu, 28/07/2016 - 19:54
It is vital that she gets proper medical guidance on how to gradually come back to a normal diet, from experts who know the art and science of fasting. Breaking a 16 years fast may take at least 16 weeks or else it can be fatal. AYUSH or JNI Bangalore or similar organisations should be consulted.
A seven member central team on Tuesday visited the violence-hit Dhubri and took stock of the ground situation in the entire areas. Led by joint secretary of home ministry for north east Shambhu Singh, the team of senior officials is scheduled to visit Kokrajhar on Wednesday and Chirang district on Thursday.
The officials talked to the district administration as well as the relief camp inmates. The team visited relief camps at Barkanda People's Academy, Maspara LP School, Indranarayan Academy and Bilasipara College and interacted with the people at the camp.
The Railways announced an ex-gratia of Rs 15,000 each to the family of two passengers who died in the NJP incident where the victims were thrown out of a Guwahati bound train in West Bengal. The kin of the passengers who were residents of Hailakandi district in Assam will be given an ex-gratia of Rs 15,000 each.
Four injured passengers all having confirmed tickets for journey up to Guwahati will get an ex-gratia of Rs 5,000 each. The seven other injured passengers will get an ex-gratia of Rs 500 each.
ULFA’s pro-talk faction called it an unfortunate one. In a statement, the outfit’s publicity secretary Mithinga Daimary said that Sarania played an important role in striking the peace deal with the government. Daimary further said that they would probe the allegations and that if found guilty, he would have to face the stern action.
NDRF team on Tuesday launched an operation on the river Brahmaputra in Kharghuli area to recover the bodies of Binit Jain and his servant. The operation was launched on the basis of confessional statements by Sarania and his aides who dumped the bodies on the river.
Some startling revelations seem to have surfaced when police raided a camp where top ULFA leader Hira Sarania stayed till he was arrested from Nalbari on Monday. A team of city police on Tuesday morning raided his designated camp and seizes an AK-56 rifle, 30 rounds of bullets and 12 lakh rupees in cash.
A lower court on Tuesday sent Hira Sarania to police custody for 6 days a day after he was arrested on murder and robbery charges by Guwahati police. He was remanded to police custody after he was produced before the chief judicial magistrate on Tuesday.
One more Assamese youth was found dead in Hyderabad on Monday. Identified as Sanjeev Sinha, the body was recovered near a railway station in the morning. He hailed from Lakhipur in Cachar district and was on his way to home following rumours of impending attack.
ULFA’s anti-talk faction slammed chief minister Tarun Gogoi for his claim that Assam has not even a single immigrant. In a statement sent to media on Monday, the outfit’s chairman Abhijeet Asom said that the Centre was responsible for the large scale influx from across the Indo-Bangla border. He further alleged that AIUDF president Badruddin Ajmal has been trying to create a communal divide in the state.
ULFA’s anti-talk faction has blamed immigration migration from across the Indo-Bangladesh border for the crisis that cripples the state. In a statement, the outfit blamed Centre’s apathy in protecting the Assamese working in the southern cities. Ulfa chairman Abhijeet Asom expressed concern over the worsening situation in BTAD areas and Dhubri. It further said that they won’t allow any immigrant to destroy the future of the indigenous people of Assam.
Flood waters continue to wreak havoc in Dhemaji district destroying paddy fields besides rendering thousands of people homless. According to information, floods have inundated 10 villages in the entire districts following incessant rains that lashed the district during the last 72 hours. Most of the houses have been severely damaged in the village.
Comments
It is vital that she gets
Pages
Add new comment