Skip to content Skip to navigation

Infiltration, border fencing to figure India, B’desh talk in Delhi

Cross border terrorism, infiltration and Indo-Bangla border fencing will be dominating in the discussion between Indian foreign secretary Shiv Shankar Menon and his Bangladesh counterpart Mohd Touhid Hussain, in New Delhi on Wednesday.

According to information, New Delhi is all set to press Dhaka to act against such elements in view of the revelation of Bangladeshi link being found to several terror incidents in India. Menon is expected to take up the issue of Bangladesh being used by terrorists as a base or route to reach here and carry out anti-India activities.

A number of terror attacks that have taken place in India have had linkages in Bangladesh, causing concern here. Infiltration by militants via the Bangladesh border is easier as it is a porous frontier. Work is on to fence the border but there are some places where fencing cannot take place at a distance of 150 yards from the boundary as laid down by the international norms due to hill tracts and water bodies. In this aspect, India is seeking cooperation from Bangladesh to allow it to set up the fence.

Comments

karuna's picture

Infiltration from Bangladesh cannot be stopped until and unless corrupt BSF personnel guarding the border are brought to the right track. This force is helping arms smuggling, cow smuggling as well as infiltration by taking bribe from the infiltrators. So far border fencing is concern, some land has to be acquired from its rightful owners and before acquiring it by the district administrations the govt. has to notify it in its official gazette. Proposals submitted by the district administration for publication of notification are lying pending at government press since long. So how can one hope that the fencing will be completed within a stipulated time? It is a serious matter to be inquired in to.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

One ULFA’s self style corporal Uttam Neog was killed in an encounter with Army on late Sunday night in upper Assam’s Kakopathar in Tinsukia district. According to information, he had an encounter the troops of Daha Regiment at Kakopathar. Later a point 3 pistol and three rounds of live ammunitions were recovered from his possession.
One Dilip Kalita, arrested after charging with duping a landowner has been remanded to judicial custody on Sunday by the Kamrup district session court. The accused has admitted that he has been selling plots to many powerful people in the city of Guwahati.The entire case came up when the dupped one Manna Hazarika who purchased a plot of land from one widow Chandra prabha Goswami in the Janakpur area in Jatia falling under Beltola mouza. The plot bearing Dag No 35/640 and Patta No 33/550 measuring one katha and 15 lecha belongs Goswami, a resident of Hatigaon purchased it in 1982.According to information, Dilip Kalita approached Chandraprabha in connection with the plot and as she told that...
Sir,It is sad to note that taking the advantage of the poverty of the Mishing community in Majuli, Dhemaji and Jonai, numerous Mishing families are been converted to Christianity by opportunistic Christian missionaries. I am an ordinary citizen and can do nothing. As such I thought of writing this letter to your newspaper so that I might create an awareness among the Mishing tribe of Assam.I would request my community members to learn from the mistake of our neighbouring states of Meghalaya, Nagaland and Mizoram where inspite of having seperate states, the tribes have lost their identity.Our own traditions are no way inferior to the rich Vatican City or Pope. The poverty in Mishing councils...
Assam Governor Lt general (Retd.) Ajoy Singh on Saturday has visited Gauhati university campus and discussed the administrative matters with registrar in charge. Later talking to the journalists he said he will personally monitor these university functioning upto May 29 but will leave all these to the new Vice Chancellor. Notably, the governor has constituted a high level committee to study the resignation of Dr Amarjyoti Chaudhury to enable him to finalise his decision on May 29.
It’s good news for people of Assam. Four candidates from the soil of Assam have cleared Civil Service Examination, 2007. The results of the examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission have been declared on Friday. The successful candidates from the state are namely Nabanita Chakrabarty of Guwahati, Rahul Kakati from Sivasagar, Nayanjyoti Nath from Jamuguri in Sonitpur district, Nilav Chandra Sen Gupta from Roha in Nagaon.
Journalists' Forum, Assam has congratulated two city based scribes for being selected to undergo a three weeks long training on journalism in USA. Nava Thakuria and Subhamoy Bhattacharjee are among six media and NGO persons from India and Sri Lanka, who had already arrived in Bloomington to participate in the programme at the Indiana University. During their stay in America, both Mr Thakuria, who is also the secretary of JFA and Bhattacharjee, who works for Indian Express, will have opportunities to work in local newspapers as well, stated in a statement by JFA.
A hardcore ULFA rebel, Montu Borgohain, was killed during an operation by army in upper Assam's Dibrugarh district on late Friday night. According to information, the incident took place at Nagajan Pathar under Duliajan police station when the jawans of Second Bihar Regiment launched an operation in the area acting on some specific information.
As many as 20 people have been injured in a bus accident in Monglodoi township early in the morning on Saturday. According to information, the bus from Koch Behar was bound for China and met the mishap in front of the Rajiv Bhawan. All the injured people have been rushed to the hospital. The people with minor injury has been released after primary treatment.
Bloods in the blue hills of North Cachar stops spilling as the DHD(J) militants have suspending their operations from Friday. Talking to a satellite TV channel on Friday its publicity secretary Faifrang Dimasa said there will not be any killing from today but made it clear that they will not allow work on National Highway and broad gauge conversion projects until the Government signs ceasefire pact with them.
Altogether 14 people, including 13 NSCN cadres were killed during a fierce fighting between two NSCN factions on Friday near Dimapur. According to information, the group clash took place in the morning at Seithekema village under Diphupar police station of Dimapur as a few NSCN(U) militants were on the way the NSCN(IM) camp in the village seeking a top leader of the.When they were returning, they were ambushed by the NSCN(IM) cadres and exchanged heavy firing. In the terrible gun fighting, 13 cadres of the NSCN(U) were killed on the spot. As the fighting ended, thousands of people of the area thronged outside the police station where the dead bodies were stored.Firstly, they paid homage to...