Skip to content Skip to navigation

RAB's terror in Bangladesh

Rapid Action Battalion [RAB], the most notorious Para military forces in Bangladesh, which is known for its atrocities through extra judicial killing, abduction, rape and collecting ransom, has finally shown its nasty fang with Weekly Blitz editor, Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury.

Internationally known award winning [recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award in 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award in 2006; Monaco Media Award in 2007 and Key to Engleewood City and Honorary Citizenship - USA in 2007] anti Jihadist journalist Shoaib Choudhury was kidnapped by a heavily armed gang of RAB led by Captain Shafiq on Tuesday evening.

When RAB stormed the Weekly Blitz office, they locked the editor including other employees of the newspaper and its sister concerns inside a room, seizing all cell phones and not allowing any communication, friends or legal counsel.

Almost after an hour and a half, members of the armed men took Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and another senior member of the newspaper, Mahboob Ar Rahman with them while they looted cash and other valuables from the newspaper office. On arriving at the ground floor of the building, where Weekly Blitz office is located, RAB men blindfolded Mr. Choudhury. Before leaving Weekly Blitz office with the editor and other journalist, RAB's officer reportedly known to be Major Swapan, who is the Deputy Director of RAB-3 passed extremely offensive remarks on journalists and newspapers. Captain Shafiq also abused and humiliated Weekly Blitz editor and other members of the newspaper.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury and Mahboob Ar Rahman were taken to RAB-3 office and were detained there for hours. RAB men verbally abused Choudhury during these hours, repeatedly calling him a "Zionist spy and agent of the Jews". They used expletives to refer to journalists against whom RAB has a record of harassing, and the United States Congress, which passed a resolution in Shoaib's support. The verbal assault, which included numerous threats, continued for another three hours until someone RAB described as a "high government official" telephoned and ordered them to release him."

It is also learnt from the Weekly Blitz editor that RAB men demanded heavy ransom from him while Captain Shafiq told him [the editor] that he [Shafiq] is a notorious man, who has killed 29 people in the name of 'encounter', a regular practice of RAB for killing people. Shafiq and Shaidul Islam alias Swapan asked Mr. Choudhury to work as 'source' for RAB. When Weekly Blitz editor said, it is not his job to work as any source or spy for any organization, RAB men threatened that, they would do the same thing with him in future.

The matter was immediately notified with the Director General of Rapid Action Battalion and other senior officials of the government. But, there is no action yet taken against the RAB team till filling this report.

Meanwhile, Weekly Blitz editor Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury has sent letters to the Chief Advisor, Army Chief and other officials in Bangladesh seeking immediate investigation and necessary actions against the culprits of RAB-3 for such notoriety.

On condition of anonymity, a highly placed source within Rapid Action Battalion told Weekly Blitz that, many officials of the RAB-3 unit are greatly involved in series of criminal activities, including collecting ransom. They maintain close links with some criminal gangs as well in either making money or trapping innocent people and finally end up in extracting money. It is further learnt that, inside RAB-3 compound, most of the interrogation rooms [which are openly seen] are equipped with torturing apparatuses and many of the RAB-3 men are accused of rapid females during interrogation.

It may be further mentioned here that, since its creation, RAB has so far killed more than one thousand people in the name of encounter. More than eighty-six females had already been raped in RAB custody.

By a correspondent in Dhaka

Comments

Anita Mathur's picture

I am not surprised to see that Bangladeshi government, which always appeases Islamists is continuing repression of our HERO. Each of us, who know Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury are aware of the fact that, since 2003, he is facing odds and adversities, because of his works in confronting religious hatred.
Steve Johnson's picture

Bangladesh once again showed its extremely dirty face to the Global Community by arresting courageous journalist Mr. Choudhury. It is well known that policymakers in Dhaka are extremely anti-Semitic and they are also anti West and anti America. I do not understand as to why the people in the West and in the United States are continuing to patronize Bangladesh by buying their readymade garments. There should be an immediate economic embargo on Dhaka.
Dibya J Borthakur's picture

a shameful nation.
Jayanta Sarkar's picture

Rapid Action Battalion or whatever it is called-a totally un professional organisation.It must not be given the status of a special force by world communities but a terrorist force and impose a ban on it.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Over 40 persons have been injured when suspected Birsa Commando force militants set on fire a passenger bus at Bihali in Sonitpur district early in the morning on Saturday.According to initial reports, suspected BCF militants forcibly halted a passenger bus bearing No AS-075848 from Sivasagar on its way to Lakhimpur as it reached Monabari Newline and set on fire by pouring petrol. Over 40 passengers have been injured in the attack. The injured people have been rushed to the hospital. The incident took place half an hour before the area slipped into a 24 hour statewide Assam bandh called by Birsa Command Force.
The killer Bird flu virus refuses to die down. It's spreading to new areas in Assam where culling of poultry has been going on since November 27.According to information, cases of fresh bird flu attack were reported at Manahkuchi of Hajo and Chayani Barduar block in Kamrup (Rural) district, where the disease was first detected.Some fresh areas to be hit by the virus are Tihu- Barama of Baksa district, Chachaligaon Burachowk village in Nagaon district, Rangamati, Aurpakmoniari Tiniali in Kamrup (Metro) district and Doloigaon Uzanpara in Bongaigaon district.With seven new locations identified so far, 19 epicentres were stated to be affected by avian flu in seven districts of Assam.Notably,...
An uneasy situation is what prevails at the Patbaushi monastery premises following at attack threat by a few people who have been illegally occupying the plot allotted by the government in the name of the Vaishnavite monastery. According to information, a section of people including Sarbesh Ali, Tutu Miyan, Nabbe Ali, Nabir Hussaion, Bahar Ali, Karim Ali, Jamir Ali, A Allakh and Taher Ali have been illegal occupying half of the plot. When opposed they threatened the Satra samiti officials with sharp weapons. A complain in this regard has been sent the Chief Secretary, Asom Satra Mahasabha, Barpeta MLA and police superintendent.Notably, over the years, rampant encroachment has been posing...
An exciting moment of play during the 2nd semi final match between Oil India Ltd (Yellow-Blue) and Lajong Club of Shillong (Red-White) at the ongoing 57th Bordoloi Trophy Football Tournament organized in memory of Bharat Ratna Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi at the Nehru Stadium on December 26th, 2008 evening. Oil won the match by 3-1. Photo: UB Photos.
A state level workshop on promotion of bamboo sector and livelihood support held at Swahid Bhawan, Nagaon, on December 26. The workshop was attended by more than 200 people of different districts of Assam. The workshop was graced by B.S.Bonai, IFS.
Normal life comes to a grinding halt at Golaghat town in upper Assam minutes after a few students leaders forcibly took away a pair of keys of a shop for failing to donate for an upcoming function.According to information, a few AATASU at around 12 noon demanded cash as donation for holding a function in January. This was followed by a debate with heat. The leaders have forcibly took away the pair of keys from the shopkeeper.As the news was spreading like wildfire, hundreds of people are coming out to the streets and staging a road blockade in front of the Deputy Commissioner’s Office in the town demanding action against the miscreants involved in it.
Lt General Parnaik, VSM will take over as the general office commanding at the army's Four Corps. According to information, Parnaik will replace Lt Gen Baljit Singh Jaiswal who is being promoted as the commander of the army training centre, ARTC, Shimla. Lt Gen will take charge as the new GOC on Friday.
The Assam government is gong to announce three ambitious schemes to uplift the state’s health sector. Talking to reporters on Wednesday in Guwahati, health minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi will be inaugurate a Rs 100 crore scheme on January 12 , the Rs 100 crore scheme will be dedicated to modernize altogether 300 hospitals in tea garden areas. The focus will be to combat malaria like diseases in these tea garden areas.He further said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi will inaugurate yet another health scheme for the urban citizens on the same day. In addition, the government has another Rs 100 crore scheme for the char areas. According to the minister, the...
Two days after the escape of drug mafia Pakhi Miyan from the GMCH, the hospital authorities have placed the concerned doctor Purna Chandra Deori under suspension. The health department has also initiated a probe into the incident.Meanwhile, the department has passed a set of instructions for shifting of prisoners to hospital for treatment to avoid further incidents of the kind.Disclosing this health minister said Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma the department has passed a slew of instructions for shifting of a jail inmate to a hospital for necessary treatment if need be. Besides, the government will ensure better medical facilities for the jail inmates. A three member committee of doctors in each...
The Assam police on Wednesday started running hugger-mugger minutes after the Union home ministry informed the state government that a seven member Huji terrorists has sneaked into the state possible foment trouble in the state.Meanwhile, the Sivasagar police has launched a massive operation to find out these elements throughout the state. Same it is in the case of other district where police and security forces are remaining alert in view of the home ministry inputs.