Oil India Limited dethroned defending champion Assam State Electricity Board in the Assam Club Championship at Bokakhat on 23rd DEC with a 4-1 victory in a rematch of last year's final. Looking to avenge the defeat at the hands of the ASEB in the previous final, the OIL team played smart football and dominated the game throughout.The OIL think tank chose the 1-4-5-1 formation to the ASEB's 1-4-4-2 pattern and it proved to be a winning strategy. OIL took the lead with captain Birjab Mushahary's winger off a corner as early as in the sixth minute. Durga Boro scored the second goal three minutes later. After missing several scoring opportunities, ASEB bounced back in the 39th minute through captain Suresh Das. The first half ended with a 2-1 score.Mushahary gave OIL a good start with a goal in the ninth minute of the second half. Mintu Boro scored the fourth and last goal for OIL in the 20th minute to take the match beyond ASEB. ASEB goalkeeper Mintu Sonowal again failed to put up a good performance, which compounded his team's woes. ASEB's Suresh Das was adjudged the best player of the meet, Manash Manjit Chetia of Nepathya Club of Jorhat was the top scorer and Jintu Chetri of OIL the best goalkeeper. Salbagan Sports Club won the fair play trophy. Former national player Amal Changmai, sports joint secretary Pranab Kumar Bora, Golaghat SP P.C. Saloi, Bokakhat subdivisional officer (civil) Ranjit Hazarika, Assam Football Association vice-president Jatin Bora, joint secretary Tapan Hazarika and senior officials of the Numaligarh Refinery Ltd were present at the prize distribution ceremony.OIL had blanked out Salbagan Sports Club of Gossaigaon 2-0 on its way to the final, while ASEB defeated 9th APBN 2-0 and Assam Rifles 7-6. As many as 23 teams competed in the tournament. The champion squad will get to play in the National B-Division league.
NDFB(P) on Saturday alleged that arms are flooding BTAD areas which is why, trouble refuses to die down. Addressing a press conference in Guwahati, NDFB(P) leader Govinda Basumatary held AIUDF president Badaruddin Ajmal for the entire string of group clash in the BTAD areas.
Education minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma’s resignation still mires in utter confusion. Dr Sarma, who has already put in his papers from the cabinet has not yet formally made any announcement. He further has sent resignation letter to Assam Assembly Speaker Pranab Gogoi to quit as MLA. But Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has not so far confirmed the receipt of the resignation. When asked, Gogoi on Saturday refused to divulge anything.
Karnataka chief minister Jagadish Shettar claimed on Saturday that normalcy is back to Bangalore. He expressed confidence that the north east people would soon be back in the city. He said that some rumours have forced the north east people to leave Banglore and that not one untoward incident has taken place in Bangalore. But five persons have been arrested by the police. The Karanataka chief minister also said ministers from northeastern states had inspected the steps taken by his government and had expressed satisfaction.
Unidentified swindler duped a 67-year-old woman drawing a huge amount of money through ATM in Jorhat on Satrday. According to police, Baharti Kalita asked a stranger at the counter on Friday night when the ATM near her failed to respond properly. After he came to know the secret code, the stranger handed her a fake ATM card and vanished from the ATM counter. Rs 1.54 lakh was missing from her account when the woman came draw the money with the fake card. An FIR was filed by her in the Jorhat police station against the stranger.
Fresh violence is reported from Kokrajkhar where one more person was killed on Friday. According to report, unidentified miscreants shot dead a person at Kokrajhar. The shoot out took place at around 7.30 in the evening where three assailants came on motorbikes.
Police in Bangaluru on Friday have arrested five persons charging them with spreading rumours of impending attack by miscreants. Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar intensified measures to instill confidence among the northeastern community that has been leaving the state following ethnic violence against them. The state government has also asked all agencies to scan all social media platforms to check for inflammatory and offensive content. Cellphone operators have been told to block all bulk SMS-es and videos.
Yet another cabinet team has reached Hyderabad on Friday in a bid to stop the exodus of the north east people from Andhara Pradesh. Ministers Pradyut Bordoloi and Rakibul Hussain, and MLA Bikshapathi Yadav reviewed the situation in Anajaiahnagar and Siddiquenagar where a large number of Assamese people are fleeing to their home state fearing attack.
The Assam government on Friday rushed to cabinet teams to Bangalore and Hyderabad to help the states stop massive exodus of the north east people. Assam Agriculture Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka and Transport Minister Chandan Brahma arrived at Bangalore Railway station. They would meet the state government in Karnataka to review the situation. Brahma met the students and other members of the Assamese community living in Karnataka. He said that he would remain in Bangalore for the next two days. Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok and Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar along with Congress leaders Oscar Fernandes, G Parameshwar and Dinesh Gundu Rao were also present on the...
The aftermath of BTAD violence has resulted in a string of violence in Lucknow in the form of arson under the garb of agitation to protest violence against Muslims in Assam and Myanmar. Around 50 people created ruckus in the crowded Hazratganj area violence soon after Friday prayer. Soon after the namaz, a mob which reportedly came out of from a mosque in Wazirganj area marched in the form of procession till Buddha park before turning violent. The miscreants broke window panes of several vehicles and tried to set afire a few.
ULFA commander-in-chief Paresh Barua on Friday said the internal conflict between a senior minister and the Chief Minister has resulted in the BTAD clash. In a statement, ULFA urged the people of Assam to support the ‘call of sovereignty’, failing which the cycle of violence in the region would continue.
Comments
Pages
Add new comment