Skip to content Skip to navigation

Veteran journalist Anil Mazumdar shot dead

In a gruesome incident that sends shockwave across the state's media fraternity, some unidentified miscreants gunned down veteran journalist and Executive Editor of Aji, Anil Mazumdar in front of his residence at Rajgarh area in the city of Guwahati on Tuesday night.

According to information, it was at around 10-15 on Tuesday night when some armed miscreants shot dead Mazumdar from a point blank range as he was halting in front of the gate from his car after he had arrived in the place. Immediately after the incident the miscreants managed to escape from the spot. Anil was rushed to the International Hospital where he was declared brought dead.

Police and civil heavyweights arrived in the spot and began investigation. But there is no lad in the case.

Several political and social oganisations have condemned the attack on the veteran journalist and have demanded exemplary punishment for the culprits involved in it. The journalists are holding a protest rally at around 1 on Wednesday afternoon at the Guwahati Press Club.

Meanwhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has condemned the killing of Anil Mazumdar and has asked police to immediately apprehend the culprits involved in it.

Health minister Dr Himana Biswa Sarma, MLA Robin Bordoloi, revenue minister Dr Bhumidhar Barman, BJP leader Bijoya Chakravarty who arrived at the hospital premises condemned the incident and said it a gruesome attack on media.

Comments

Hirakmani Das's picture

Please save the journalist. Save the people of Assam. Its my request to Govt.

Pages

Add new comment

Other Contents by Author

Police on Monday arrested the tenth molester involved in the Guwahati incident. Identified Dipak Dey, he was arrested from Hatigaon. Earlier Deva Das was arrested from Guwahati on Monday night.He was arrested hours after the eighth molester was captured at Mukalmuwa in Nalbari district. With this, the number of molesters arrested in this connection has gone up to 9. He was indentified as Rupkanta Kalita. Search operations are on in Guwahati and nearby areas, including Meghalaya where the other three other main accused may have taken refuge.
The National Commission for Women has axed Alka Lamba from the panel set up to probe the Guwahati molestation case. NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma sacked her following a faux pas in which Lamba had revealed the name of the victim at a press conference. A three-member NCW team had visited Guwahati and met the victim on Saturday. They had blamed the police for reacting late in trying to save the girl.
Assam Police on Monday gilled Gauravjyoti Neog in connection with the Guwahati molestation case.According to information, off duty reporter with Newslive was summoned by Bhangagarh police station where he was grilled for several hours. The development took place hours after DGP JN Chaudhury spoke to Union home secretary RK Singh and apprised him of the breakthrough. Police have received flak for alleged delay in taking prompt action to stop crime and in arresting culprits. Sources said Dispur apprised the Home Ministry of the fact that police was suspecting that TV journalist Gaurav Jyoti Neog might have orchestrated the molestation of the girl by instigating the mob as the prime accused...
Assam police have rushed a high level team to Bhubneswar to nab Amarjyoti Kalita who is understood to have been hiding in Puri. Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said the key accused was traced to Bhubaneswar. Talking to reporters in Dispur on Monday, Gogoi said that tracking of his mobile phone has pointed to his presence in Bhubaneswar. Police have announced Rs one lakh cash award for information on the whereabouts of Kalita.
Police on Monday arrested another accused in the molestation of a girl outside a pub here taking the number of those apprehended in the case to eight. Identified as Rupkanta Kalita, he was arrested from Nalbari and search operations are on in Guwahati and nearby areas, including Meghalaya where the other three other main accused may have taken refuge.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday met the molestation case victim and promised her more security and monetary relief. He further said that prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita would be arrested soon. Meanwhile, Guwahatti SSP Apurba Jiban Barua was shifted in connection with the incident. Police have already arrested eight people out of the 12 identified persons, who were involved in molesting and stripping the girl in public outside a pub in Guwahati on the night of July 9.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday expressed strong displeasure over the role of a local news channel journalist in the molestation case. Talking to reporters outside the Assam assembly on Monday, he called it a case of unethical journalism saying that he should have informed police as soon as possible. He said, "the media blames the government and particularly the police on all accounts, but journalists, too, have responsible role to play in society and in this particular case they have failed miserably."
Probe into the mob attack on MLA Rumi Nath and her second husband Jacky Zakir at Karimganj on June 30 is going on. This was what the government informed the Assam Assembly n Monday. Replying to a question, Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain told the assembly on behalf of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said that the duo were brought to Guwahati with police escort. The minister was replying to questions on the first day of the assembly session after opposition members raised a furore over the culprits engaged in the attack on Nath in a Karimganj hotel last month.
The National Federation of Newspaper Employees has strongly condemned the attack on Tongam Rina of Arunachal Times on July 15 evening at Itanagar. Media report says that Ms Rina, 33, got bullet injuries at her belly and presently undergoing treatment at Ram Krishna Mission Hospital there. In a statement issued on Monday by Nava Thakuria, zonal secretary of NFNE argues that the media persons remain vulnerable in Arunachal after Assam. Thakuria urged the State chief minister Nabam Tuki to take stern action against the miscreants such that the journalists can function in a fearless situation. Following the incident, the members of Arunachal Pradesh Union for Working Journalists and...
Braving incessant rains that lashed the city for several hours, hundreds of people in Guwahati, took out a huge procession to show register their protest and anger against the role of government, police and the media on the recent molestation case. Protesters representing several organizations thronged Dighalipukhuri on Sunday and took out a rally demanding immediate arrest of all the culprits involved in it. The organization include Nari Nirjatan Aikya Mancha, Nari Mukti Sangram Samiti, Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti, India Against Corruption, Bharat Swabhiman. The protesters were scheduled to meet the National Commission of Women delegation but only to be they refused. KMSS leader Akhil...