Saparivar an internationally circulated feature Nepali language magazine with news that impacts the general masses published by Hemanta Madhumita Saika (HMS) Publications from Guwahati, Assam recently declared results of the 3 months long "Saparivar – Assam ka TOP 10 Lokopriya Gorkhali"reality fame contest. At its 2nd anniversary the HMS Publication brought out this unique idea as a gift to the people of Assam and its readers across India in particular North East and abroad like Myanmar, US, Nepal, Bhutan, Canada, China- the brain child of famous Nepali language journalist and writer Deputy Editor of Saparivar (Nepali) a Gorkha son Rohit Goutam.
The list is topped by famed Gorkha political tycoon of India Sri Mani Kumar Subba while TOP 10 positions were jointly awarded to young photojournalist n special correspondent in Guwahati Sri Nanda Kirati Dewan of Chandanpur (Merapani); Golaghat and Sri Dillu Sharma; Secretary General of Gorkha Autonomous Council Demand Commitere(GACDC) also Secretray of BPPF in Bodoland. As many as eleven names were voted as Saparivar – Assam ka TOP 10 Lokopriya Gorkhali".
The list is as follows with nomination field, occupation and votes received as published in February 2009 issue of Saparivar(Nepali) with due from HMS Publications.
- Mani Kumar Subba, Politics, Ace Politician and MP Tezpur also President Assam Gorkha Sammelan, 30,484 votes.
- Dil Bahadur Limboo, Social Service, Youth Icon and Leader presently President of All Assam GorkhaStudents' Union(AAGSU), 28,233 votes.
- Geeta Upadhyay, Literature, Sahitya Akademi awardee writer and former President of Nepali Sahitya Parishad, Assam, 17,804 votes.
- Bhaskar Dahal, Social Service, Ex AAGSU President now Chief Advisor also convenor of Peoples Committee for Peace Initiative in Assam (a union of 42 democratic organization)16,731 votes.
- Arun Upadhya, Social Service, General Secretary; Assam Gorkha Sammelan and National Vice President NE Zone Co-ordinator Bharatiya Gorkha Parisangh(BGP), 15,733 votes.
- Badal Gurung, Culture, Down to earth ace socio-cultural person famed with composing music in Bollyhood, Nepal Film Industry and winner of lots of cultural awards, 11,850 votes.
- Dambar Dahal. Literature, Literature Secretary of Assam Nepali Sahitya Sabha and ace Nepali language Coloumnist also writer, 11,850 votes.
- Prof. (Rtrd) Lil Bahadur Chetri, Literature, Sahitya Akademi awardee writer and also of writer of movie made Oscar nominated story book "Bassain"; Recognized by Hamro Dhwani magazine as "Shatabdi Purush-2000", 9271 votes.
- K B Nepali, Journalism, Ace journalist, Editor, Publisher of Bindu- a trimonthly Nepali language magazine over the last forty years which is rare in Assam. Felicitated by most of the literature organisation in Assam for his life long service to Nepali literature, 9090 votes.
- Dillu Sarmah. Politics, Secretary General of Gorkha Autonomous Council Demand Commitere(GACDC) also Secretray of BPPF in Bodoland, 8,597 votes.
Nanda Kirati Dewan, Journalism, Guwahati based Photojournalist with UB Photos and Free Lancer, Principal Correspondent; The Assam Times, North East Bureau; The Darjeeling Times, also a socially involved human right activist, 8,598 votes.
Interestingly Speaker of Assam Legislative Assembly and MLA of Borsola constituency of Sonitpur another political figure of Assam got only 96 votes and MLA S R Subba also got only 38 votes it shows that the political leaders are not admired by the public meanwhile fresher AAGSU President being elected at TOP 2 shows that AAGSU has grass root reach in the public and it is the voice of Gorkhas of Assam. Lots of ups and down were seen in the mandate that gives us present picture of Gorkhas in Assam.
In the November issue, the magazine had nominated ten each in the field of Politics, Social Service, Literature, Culture, Journalism, Sports and Non-Nepali Speaker having contribution to Gorkhas taking the contestant toll to 70. Analyzing the result we find that people have voted not only stalwarts but also new faces like D B Limbu and N K Dewan and also have respected contributions of K B Nepali, Badal Gurung and Lil Bahadur Chetri. Over all it was a public mandate and is supposed to be satisfactory says Hemanta Saikia; Chief Editor of Saparivar. Expressing his satisfaction on the results of TOP 10 contest and its response from mass Rohit Goutam the Deputy Editor exclaims that it was a experiment and I can now give a stand that it was successful. The public mandate was wise and satisfying above all it reflected as the mandate of truly intellectual section of Assam. Madumita Saikia MD HMS Publication while congratulating this correspondent informed of releasing "Saparivar Times"- a Nepali language weekly and felicitating the TOP 10 Gorkha in the scheduled weekly release program in Guwahati.
Congratulation to everyone
Add new comment