Here comes the spring with beauty and bounty in nook and corner of Assam. Gurgling steams, blooming buds and chirping birds keep reviving the minds and spirits of millions of the people irrespective of caste, creed and religion. Spring, the time of Rongali Bihu, is synonymous to the handloom sector that still remains a staple livelihood for thousands of weavers whose finished product draws applause in the country and abroad. Gamocha, the name of a traditional tapestry is an embodiment of pride and pizzazz of the entire Assamese across the globe.
Rongali Mela 2020 is coming up showcasing the authentic craftsmanship of the ethnic people in the state engaged in the sector defying all odds a cross the north eastern region. Handloom and handicraft products of different colours and traditions would be juxtaposed in the same event to encourage the promising people in this field.
The event would be a half-hearted one if the varieties of mouth-watering food items are left out from the traditional Rongali Bihu platter. These include Til Pitha, Ghila Pitha, Narikol ladu, Chira, Muri, Gur will with traditional flavour that could take the people to a real estate of bountiful Assamese culture and tradition.
Last but not least, Rongali Mela 2020 will also feature daily cultural programme, featuring folk dance and music.
Digital Marketing training for artisans
To address challenges faced by weavers and artisans, a workshop is being planned on use of digital technology for the selling products through online platforms. With knowledge on digital marketing tools, the artisans can connect to national market, making available their products through several online shopping portals. The workshop is being exclusively organized for the participants of the Rongali Mela expo at NEDFi Haat, Guwahati from March 26.
The Venue: NEDFi Haat
NEDFi Haat is a well known expo location in Guwahati since 2002. The present location of NEDFi Haat is at just in the Rupnagar area, near ASTC Workshop just at distance from Bhangagarh, on the Guwahati-Shillong Road. NEDFi Haat is a venture by North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NEDFi in short) started to support and showcase products by local artisans.
Rongali Mela 2020 will also feature some additional value added activities:
- Workshop on digital marketing (with production of a participants’ catalogue and their products)
- Painting Competition for 150 school students (March 28, 2020). The introductory programme will be held on March 26.
- Dance competition for young girls (100 dancers in 5 days) from March 28 onwards. Top 5 selected dancers will perform in the closing day on April 5, 2020.
- Awards, certificates will be given to all participants
- Invited local musical bands, rock bands, solo singers will also perform in the afternoon at the stage.
- Refreshments will be provided to all performers of the events.
- We are also planning invite few distinguished guests on the inauguration day on March 26 and closing day on April 5.
- Newslive television consented to become the media partner for the event. Local media will be invited to cover the entire event, specially the inauguration and closing events.
- There will be food stall in the venue selling all kinds of delicacies (veg/non-veg).
- There will flower stalls.
For details, please contact:
Tel: 9707269564, 9401732209.