Skip to content Skip to navigation

Serial blasts victims cry for compensation

The wait for compensation for 2008 Assam serial blast victims does not seem to an end. The Assam and Central governments have failed to fulfill their promises of compensation even after eight years of the blasts, victims expressed their resentment ahead a day of the shocked day of serial blasts on Saturday.

At least 100 were killed and 200 injured in the serial blasts, including 20 lives in Kokrajhar that rocked Assam on October 30, 2008. Both, state and centre governments had separately announced ex-gratia for the victims immediately after the bomb blasts,but governments had done little nothing to the promises so far. In Kokrajhar town, 20 persons lost lives and injured over 60 in three blasts October 30 in the main town itself.The first bomb blast was occurred at Kokrajhar main vegetable market at around 10.45 am which was planted on a bi-cycle, the second blast took place at Vivekananda Path near railway crossing gate which planted under drainage footpath and last blast happened at fish market which was planted inside drain which ripped twenty peoples’ lives and injured around 60 in Kokrajhar itself.

Kalpana Das, mother of late Ajay Das, who lost her elder son at vegetable main market blast on October 30 serial blast. She said, 'When October 30 comes in its existence, I can’t express my feelings; it was supreme lost in my life, who was the main source of income in our family’. Das recalling her son Ajay said today my family lost great dedicated earner in the serial blast of October 30 in Kokrajhar main market. She said as per the central govt assured to provide financial assistance to the victims, but till today we were not receiving full amount of rupees 8 lakhs in our family to sustaining suitable spirit.She also expresses serious concern over mismanagament of Swahid Bedi that constructed at Bazar which has been seeing unsuited as traders used the place for chiken market.She said it is totally dishonoured to the swahids,who lost their lives on October 30 serial blasts. In an exclusive interview with News 18 Assam/NE on the eve of eight years’ completion of October 30 serial blast today, Ratan Dey, son of late Narayan Dey, who lost his father at fish market blast in Kokrajhar said, 'Though the govt had declared total Rs 8 lakh as compensation, we have received only six lakh. It has already crossed eight years, yet promises from government has not been implemented so far’,  he allegged.

“We are struggling to survive with my and mother. I don’t want others to face the same fate. I want peace. I want my family to live in a peaceful in BTC region as well as Assam,” said Dey. Jhorna Dey, widow, holding back her tears expressed her shock, “Our life has changed completely since we lost main earner, and life has to move on,” Dey said. The government at that time had announced a job to the kin of victims but our family has failed to get any government job,Dey added.

Add new comment

Random Stories

Blood donation camp at Hojai.

8 Aug 2018 - 8:47am | Nikhil Mundra
HojaI:- As a part of Golden Jubilee Celebration one of the oldest Irrigation Scheme of Assam, i.e. Jamuna Irrigation Scheme the Officers, both Office and Field Staffs  along with their family...

Residents lock school at Roha

14 Nov 2013 - 5:04pm | Dibya J Borthakur
A government primary school was locked on Wednesday by NSUI, ( National Students Union of India ), Raha Unit and the local residents at Raha following a fight between two female teachers of the...

Rongali Bihu celebrated in Gurgaon

23 Apr 2009 - 11:23pm | editor
The festival of joy and happiness and the most endearing festival of the people of Assam, the Rongali Bihu was celebrated in the Millenium city of Gurgaon, by Assam Association, Gurgaon on April 18...