Properties worth crores of rupees along with a 108 year old building reduced to ashes when a devastating fire broke out in Guwahati on Sunday.
The fire broke at Lakhtokia area in Fancybazar in the wee hours where as many as 70 houses were gutted.
The fire was believed to have originated from electric short circuit which later engulfed many houses within a short period of four hours.
The burst of domestic LPG cylinders further compounded the problem. A 108 year old building where former President Fakaruddin Ali Ahmed housed for many decades also gutted in the fire.
Over ten fire tenders took over four hours to bring the situation under control. The real extent of damage is yet to be ascertained.
Local residents blamed it all on the fire brigade officials for the rapid spread of the fire. They told Assam Times that the fire tenders were not immediately deployed because of little water.
“Later they managed water. But by then the fire engulfed over 70 houses,” said a local resident.
“The extent of damage could have been reduced. But the fire refused to be extinguished duo to water crisis,” said another eyewitness.